I am caught in an endless loop to agree to "End User License Agreement"

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often):
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product):
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…):
UI LANGUAGE:
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?):

DESCRIPTION:Hello, I have added a second user to my SailfishOS. The switch went smoothly for a while. Until now! Now I am caught in an endless loop to agree to “End User License Agreement”. If I choose to agree, the screen jumps to the page in front of it “Ahoj!” The smartphone can no longer be started. What can I do? Thank you for the feedback. Michael

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

EXPECTED RESULT:

ACTUAL RESULT:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

It was done in the meantime – since I could neither flash the phone again, nor make a hard reset, I destroyed the phone, since it was also impossible for me to delete my data. I strongly warn against setting up 2 user accounts. For a week, switching between accounts worked smoothly until I was finally caught in an endless loop.

Michael

1 Like

WUT?    

1 Like

Nein nicht Wut – ich benötige ein Smartphone welches funktioniert. Wenn sich das Betriebssystem in einer Endlosschleife befindet, mehrfaches Aus- und Einschalten nichts an der Situation ändert, das Telefon das erneute Flashen verweigert sowie ein Hardreset nicht möglich ist, hatte ich nur die Möglichkeit, das Telefon zu zerstören, damit nicht evtl. sensible Kundendaten ausgelesen werden können.
Ein Telefon, welches aufgrund eines Softwareschadens nicht mehr benutzbar ist, ist für mich wertlos.
Dem Betriebssystem fehlt noch die Funktion des Hardresets.

SailfishOS ist gut aber nicht perfekt – schade.

2 Likes

I guess he meant “What?”

“Wut” fits, though ;-(

However, I wonder why the phone couldn’t be flashed anymore. I am using a second user on the tablet for many week s now, without any issue

Which phone? XA2, Xperia 10, Xperia X …?

Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra Dual Sim

Incorrect number of devices connected. Make sure there is exactly one device connected in fastboot mode

Maybe the problem is only with mobilephone. I was doing 2 accounts - 1 for bussiness and 1 for privat.
1 week all works fine without problems - i could switch from privat account to bussiness account without problems. On business Account i am using also android apps. Once 1 was switching from business account to private account it links me to first Window from installing Phone “Ahoj!” If i was choosing by the next screen to agree, the screen jumps back to page before “Ahoj!” I was caught in an endless loop. Nothing helps – shut off Phone do not help - removing batterie - do not help. My Phone was Xperia XA2 Ultra Dual Sim - i was updating phone to latest SaifishOS 2 weeks ago. Maybe the phone do not like updates – i did all updates since 2019

Have you enlarged the root partition under SFOS? This is recommended as it fills up over time and causes problems with updates. There is a good HowTo from @olf for this.
https://together.jolla.com/question/222126/guide-installing-sailfish-x-on-xperias/#222126-33-increasing-the-root-lvm-volume-size
Was it not possible to flash the XA2 again with Android before using the hammer method?

No, i do not enlarged the root partion under SFOS. I did not try to flash XA2 with Android - i was only try to flash with SFOS again. I was trying to flash with Linux and also with windows - but it was inpossibile.
If i would buy another phone - do i have to pay again for software licenze for Android App support?

You can ask Jolla’s support at jolla.zendesk.com to transfer your extant SailfishOS license to a new phone.
Note that Jolla has stated multiple times, that they only may transfer a license if the device model is the same.

I unfortunately just reproduced the bug.

Created the new account, switched roughly 5 times and found the phone in the endless loop.

Second time just enabling a feature caused havoc on the phone. Last time I lost a a myriad of pictures that were dear to me when toggling dev mode on Nexus. You really only get to enjoy this special experience on Sailfish.

It is possible to get rid of the malfunctioning additional user and make the phone boot up to the main user’s account.

1. Invoke the recovery mode.
  2. Select Shell
  3. Give the command
    > / # sed -i '/LAST_LOGIN_UID=/d' /rootfs/etc/environment
  4. Exit recovery mode and detach cable
  5. Reboot the phone.

Thanks for sharing tips. I have the same kind of problem with X II. After creating a private user account 3 months ago without any android apps I experienced the same problems .My phone was stuck after I accepted the jolla license agreementtext .You cannot even choose any language. After that the sailfishos text appears with the waiting text in your own language . The screen goes black/off after a few seconds and nothing happens after that. I have tried recovery mode with the command you suggested twice without any luck. It still tries to boot into the private user account with the same problems as before. Are there any other tricks you could think of with the command or how i could recover data from the phone.

Well, the command in step 3 of the post by

actually is
sed -i '/LAST_LOGIN_UID=/d' /rootfs/etc/environment

The prefixed characters “> / # ” are likely the copied command line prompt (i.e., Jolla’s due diligence).