How to install SFOS on XA2 now?

1. “This” is 50.2.A.0.400, but not the latest Android 9.
  2. No, as this tedious and senseless. Just two:
    • Other SailfishOS 4 releases have been worse IMO.
    • A factory reset will throw you further back.

At the gitlab-page you recommended one can read 1.1 First steps → 5. Do not upgrade Android!:partying_face:

Good point…

Thanks for the moment. Further tips are welcome…

Well, more than two months and still no answer from Jolla how to prepare a XA2 in 2021/2022…

The official instructions should apply just fine. Just because you feel like there should be differences doesn’t mean there are any.

1 Like

This is not really constructive. We bought these devices. Didn’t we pay for the camera too? They are still ours, still Sony!

“Guys, you can experiment on this cars but if you open the the engine hood, the wheels become square”
Chocked.
Where can we find more information to better understand this?
Thanks

Sorry, but I didn’t get your point.

As I stated in my posts above, there are some discrepancies in the documentation (how to do / update Android before flashing or not).

And I’m obviousely not the only one, who’s facing this…

Well, the (somehow) degrading camera when unlocking the bootloader is a known fact, as sony is using proprietary components to improve image quality in Android (which they are not willing / able to open for some reason - I guess due to licencing-issues).

But that’s not the key point here (I just wanted to know if there’s some kind of best practice I missed in the mentioned documents).

There’s also version 50.2.A.3.77 (which seems newer than 50.2.A.0.400) available in EMMA. What about it?

My point is that you are imagining the discrepancies.

“Android 9 and Android 8.1 are now okay as the starting point” and a recommendation to use Android 9 are not contradictory statements. Why you mix in LineageOS, i’m not so sure about. If you can find overlap enough in the instructions so flashing Lineage over Sailfish OS, good for you.

The camera will degrade the same whichever route you take - just because you would like it not to does not make it so.

I guess the lack of answers in the thread you link is for a similar reason; it does not matter much. The person is exaggerating the importance, and so are you. There should be very little difference in Sailfish on top of a fresh flash of Android 9 or a flash of Android 8 and OTA upgrade to Android 9 (especially after having booted said Android). It is not like the kernel is reused… just some of the firmware and calibration.

Just because there could theoretically be some difference, does not make it so. In the absence of evidence, references or reasoning, the question becomes really quite odd.

Yes, sorry, couldn’t resist.
Emma doesn’t show 50.2.A.3.77 to me.
I always used 50.2.A.0.400 and didn’t experiment issues out of the GPS one which happens anyway no matter which android was flashed before)
Out of that, very fluid experience.

For me EMMA doesn’t show 50.2.A.0.400, unless I click the “Show all versions” (or so) button. It is shown only then, as an older and not recommended release.

Therefore, so far I was always using 50.2.A.3.77, that was giving me lots of issues. So this time I flashed 50.2.A.0.400 as recommended by Jolla. With exactly the same issues, as it turns out.

1 Like

Thanks for clarification.

I mentioned LOS as a potential (!) fallback, if SFOS on the XA2 wouldn’t please (I love it on my R7 - except for being trapped on 4.0.1.48 there for unknown reasons).

As you see, I’m aware that unlocking the bootloader will degrade the camera, I just wanted to know, if there’s a (maybe not so well documented) trick to get back best image quality when reverting back to Android/LOS (assuming that’s not the case and confirmed yet by peterleinchen).

The problem I see is (as many times) the missing documentation on part of Jolla: As long as we don’t know which parts of the original Android are used, there’s no way to etimate the consequences using 8.1 or 9 - just as you say:

That’s why I asked and waited politely more than two months… :wink:

Shouldn’t that be somewhat documented onthat HAL compatibility matrix site? (don’t remember the link currently). Nevertheless, it probably doesn’t make that much sense talking about depracted hardware. I’d really love to see Jolla convincing some company to build jolla devices again… Why not Sony? I like the hardware.

1 Like

I’m afraid that the number (and severity) of bugs doesn’t meet any serious company’s standards.

Well, you’re not alone with that wish.

It was quite a challenge to get the only device shipped with SFOS (R7) two years ago. But I wanted a supported device which is known for running SFOS without glitches, not having to try around with “deprecated” or other hardware which is known for buggy SFOS support.

BTW: XA2 seems - even though old - to be the hardware which runs SFOS best. Did I miss something?

Until there’s an adequate alternative (aside from starting a business to build and sell SFOS hardware - I thought of that a few times), we’ll have to use what’s there…

1 Like

… where “best” actually means “with countless bugs and issues”. If XA2 is indeed “best” then I just can’t imagine how those worse ones must be misbehaving.

I understand your frustration and would be angry too with an unusable phone.
But I have to say that my experience with XA2 (dual but not ultra, tho) is very pleasant.
Since ~1 month of use, the only problem I encountered is this GPS thing.
EDIT: …but we are totally OT here…
EDIT2: Though, it’s true that I have a basic usage (never tried to switch between data and wifi, and so on)

It isn’t frustration. I’ve got more important things in my life (especially in these times) to frustrate me. It’s just stating facts and describing my experiences.

I’ve given SFOS another go on January 1st when Blackberry turned off their servers, making any further app development impossible (no way to sign code) and restricting usage of BB10 phones.

Since then, i.e. within the last three weeks, I encountered:

• problems with GPS and a hardly working compass (both working fine on Android)
  • inability to normally reject incoming calls,
  • problems with handling SIM card slots - when I enable and then disable the second slot the SIM card in the first slot becomes inactive and loses network connection
  • quite ‘fragile’ Android support, which with more heavy apps such as e.g. Google Maps or YouTube Vanced tends to freeze and restart itself
  • problems with connecting to a saved hidden WLAN network, especially after exiting Flight mode. The network is correctly recognized (proper SSID and MAC address are shown) but it still keeps asking for SSID and passphrase, and even if fed with it, it still can’t connect. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes of fiddling, or - much quicker - rebooting for it to connect (maybe restarting the corresponding services would also help, haven’t tried)
  • there are also problems with switching between different connections in Android, especially between mobile data and WLAN. Sometimes it takes restarting the whole Android support for Android apps to regain network connectivity.
  • all kinds of problems with MMS. Some as bizarre as that MMS must contain some text in addition to image or else SFOS fails at “decoding MMS PDU” and refuses to receive it.
  • no way to easily turn off cellular radio when I need to be temporarily ‘unreachable’, without using Flight mode (to avoid having to re-enable WLAN, reconnect Bluetooth, etc). The only way I could find is to enable the second (empty) SIM card slot in order to be able to temporarily disable the first card slot (as it requires at least one slot to be active). I can then enable the first slot (which brings back cellular network connectivity) but since then (until reboot) I can’t disable the second (empty) slot or else the card in the first slot also gets disabled.
  • buggy Call barring settings. They do not show options which are enabled (e.g. International calls barred), and setting them does not work, either, because after closing and re-opening they are all inactive again.
  • and that’s definitely not all, just what I could recall quickly at the moment. All that after two reflashes to ensure that it wasn’t caused by some bad flashing process, some bad software installed, etc.

I’ve owned (and in fact I still do) the classic Jolla from the very first batch of pre-orders in 2013. I came back to SFOS after many years of using and developing for BlackBerry BB10, and I really hoped that 10 years would have been enough for such basic bugs to have been removed. I was wrong.

I LOVE the look and feel of SFOS, I love its openness giving much more possibilities than what the severely restricted BB10 platform was letting developers do, and I really would love it to stay alive and succeed and allow me to make it my daily driver, because even just thinking about having to go Android or iOS gives me headaches. But all those bugs are really overwhelming.

5 Likes

Your issues include items 99.9% barely to never use. Call barring? MMS? Extensiv simcard/network switching? Yes, SfOS may have its issues there, but many if not all current OSes have their drawbacks compared to the good old and rock solid Nokia network stacks as they were implemented in e.g. Symbian…

1 Like

What’s of “barely to never use” for you doesn’t make it such for other people. MMS? Lots of people need ability to quickly and easily send/receive photos, not just for fun but also professionally. Imagine car dealer or real estate agent who’s requested by his client to quickly take and send a photo of some details. Such people RELY on this functionality of their smartphones.

Call barring? Yes, it is a useful security feature. For instance, both my 75 years old mother and my children now have outgoing international calls (that they do not need) barred, after they clicked and dialed some international numbers sent to them in some fraudulent/advertising email or SMS and made a few expensive calls to some exotic countries. Now they can’t. Other call barring options are also quite useful, especially during foreign trips.

As for “extensive simcard/network switching”, I never wrote a word about any such thing. There is a bug in handling SIM card slots on XA2 causing that after you turn off the 2nd slot then the active SIM card in 1st slot disconnects from the network. It has absolutely no relation to frequency of doing so, so I don’t get where you took your “extensive switching” from. Doing so even just once a month (which surely isn’t “extensive switching”) still triggers this bug and causes that the phone becomes unreachable without the user being notified about it, which sometimes may have very bad consequences either for you or those who were unable to contact you because of it.

Anyway, on a platform that aims to ever become SERIOUS, bugs are to be reported and fixed, and not (quite pathetically) EXCUSED.

3 Likes