How about them cameras on Sailfish devices?

What specific things require working nfc? Just paying for something, or bluetooth stuff, or…?

With the new functionality added you are supposed to touch bluetooth stuff and pair them automatically. I don’t think you can pay for anything since there are no apps for it in SFOS.

Regardless of that with the old base (aosp 9) when i was putting my debit card near the phone it vibrated. This changed with the new base. So something is probably not working right. I think at least.

on Sailfish we just get a generic camera software, which a) wasn’t made by the same company that made the camera and b) was made by a company that’s not into cameras at all and c) isn’t made specifically for the hardware that it’S running on.

This is only partially true. The camera software is actually both a middleware in android and a client app.

Sony AOSP could provide the whole middleware and sailfish would use that. So in theory, the camera should work the same.

However there were devices pre-X10 that disabled camera firmware features on unlocking the bootloader, which indeed were having lower picture quality from that firmware level.

Then there’s also the computational GCam approach, which started in Pixels using mere 1/2.5 sony sensors, so that could work too.

Then there are actually large phone sensors, like 1/1.7 or 1/1.2 which we don’t have access to because sailifsh is mostly on entry/middle devices.
One could find a such large sensor phone that has bootload unlocking and lineage/aosp support and start porting sailfishos to that:)

3 Likes

@Levone1 Being able to capture in RAW on the xz2c would be very interesting. Manual Cam on Lineage OS does not show this capability. Have you tried to actually capture in RAW, and if yes, did it work?

Camera2API probe, an Android app show we have full API support, for all features. But I don’t think that is the case. If Android apps could talk directly to the Android kernel as if it was as on AOSP, then we could use GCam and OpenCamera and have as good pictures as on AOSP. Also access to all 3 back cameras.
But it only sees one back camera, and the pictures look much worse, especially pictures in the dark look good in the preview, but the end result looks way too bright.
So I think it goes kernel → droidcamera → android apps. So I think Android apps are limited in the same way as native apps, even though Android apps THINK they have access to all features, unfortunately.

1 Like

I think the problem you mention is due to lack of OIS (or, in the Pixel’s case, EIS) on at least the Xperia 10 I-III range. Fortunately, the 10 IV has it, so results should improve a lot when it is officially supported in SFOS, but in my experience what the Android software actually tries to compensate for is this. Without OIS, pictures taken inside the house are so much worse than even a much older phone that has it.

Pictures taken outside at night which go through the Night Mode “faux-tography” processing with many manufacturers are a different story, but even just fixing indoor shots via OIS would help enormously compared to the current situation.

2 Likes