Home automation with Sailfish OS

Agreed… I think we do want to see it :slight_smile:

Pics or it didn’t happen :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okidoke. Some yokel installed 50 volt DC halogen lamps under my entranceway’s roof. I put in 12 volt led lights (with pirs) … I have a lot of other pics of absurd electronic projects on offer.

5 Likes

And, yes, I had to fetch a chair, disassemble the lamp mount, fidget with the volla phones flash setting, hold the lamp in the other hand, etc. So. Cheer, already.

EDIT: I am NOT climbing onto the roof to take apart my solar radiation measurement apparatus. Maybe in the summer.

Thanks @poetaster, your efforts are genuinely appreciated. I wish I had the skills to build things like that, but since I don’t it’s nice to see other people’s creations.

If anyone is interested in a kit of parts and a box to build one of these: https://github.com/poetaster/moat/raw/master/keep.v3_pcb.jpg (it’s an analog modular audio synth), send me a DM :slight_smile: It’s a bit more complicated but makes funny noises! rampart & keep

2 Likes

This is so crazy! I love it :smiley:

My home automation is more or less home build, implementing 1Wire, Lora, 433MHZ and USB, for temperature, doorbell, weather station and internet-radio alarm watch, with scale, indoor humidity and ventilation fan coming.

I mostly use a web interface, but have a small Sailfish app for viewing weather data.

1 Like

1Wire. Nice. What weather station hardware are you using? Commendable?

I have a fairly extensive Home Assistant deployment, with a few hundred entities by now, and a few dozen devices on Zigbee. I’d be delighted to show you around when you’re in Brussels, if you want. I use Quartermaster for controlling some very basic things (mainly when my Zigbee network went haywire and the lights didn’t trigger automatically), but I mainly use browser bookmarks to my HA web interface. For example, I preheat my car with a bookmark to the car’s ‘device’ page, and a second click to trigger the heating.

Other than that, I use Unifi for WiFi, and use that for presence tracking. That “kinda” involves Sailfish, since my phone is my presence tracker.

2 Likes

@poetaster, I started using a ventus weather station (slightly modified with the battery replaced by a solar cell and a lithium battery) and a 144mhz receiver, but it didn’t deliver telemetry, and the anemometer had a tendency to get stuck, so now I use a kit with a homemade controller.

Cool, that then becomes the third HUE app, after Tint (by me) and Scintillon (by Flypig). I’m not telling you you should contribute there instead, but for awareness. At least Tint is very incomplete compared to the official app, and going beyond that was exponentially more work. Both are sparingly maintained, i think it is fair to say. You are welcome to e.g. pinch my discovery code if you don’t already have some.

As for what home automation i’m using… My Hue usage doesn’t even count as automation - it is just a way to remote or synchronously control lights. The little automation that is done on top of that happens in Lua on my router.

2 Likes

I’m going to drag the bar a tad lower and let you know that Ikea Trådfri hub works as expected on Sailfish OS with its Android application - it’s simply Internet traffic after all. I don’t have the hub set up currently, as my current apartment doesn’t need its features anymore.

Speaking of home-built automation, I used to have a DIY controllable 230V power sockets built into my TV stand/cabinet, which consisted of a Raspberry Pi which controlled relays with a one-file web page and controls built with PHP and Python (and also hosted PiHole). The only downside was that it required a WLAN connection on my phone, which in an urban environment drains the phone battery rather quickly. I may still have some photographic evidence of it, I’ll post them if I find them!

1 Like

I’d love to see the evidence if you find it :slight_smile: What did you use the sockets for? To turn on the TV? Presumably not to turn off the Pi :wink:

I use Ruuvi and Ruuvi Gateway to measure temperatures and humidity, e.g. outdoor, cellar, or to give an alarm if the temperature in the freezer or fridge gets too high. Ruuvi Android app would require a bluetooth support, so I currently use it through the browser and the alerts are sent to email.

The Netatmo Home+ Control Android app works flawlessly for me under Android App Support / Aliendalvik; that’s what I am using at the moment for my smart thermostat.

To everyone who contributed to this thread so far, thank you! I’ve written up things as best I could in the community news. Unfortunately I ran out of time and space to add in everything, so sorry for having to miss some out. It just goes to show how much interesting variety there is in this area.

Personally, I’ve loved reading about all of your different systems. Fascinating stuff.

7 Likes

Thanks for making Tint!
Its my favorite Hue app for Sailfish, and also on f-droid I did not manage to find a better app :slight_smile:
I use it everyday to switch off the lights.

It would be perfect if you could add support for the temperature sensor that is in every hue motion sensor

You’re too kind. It is really super basic.
What would one do with a temperature sensor? Just read it, or also control something?
I don’t think sensors are really going to happen in Tint… it is the rules part that is many times more effort than i could justify unfortunately.

I was hoping for a list of the /sensors, with the name and the temperature (+ maybe the battery level)

to do it, you would look for model id SML001 (indoor sensor) or SML002 (outdoor sensor)
(“modelid”, QVariant(QString, “SML002”)
then display the name
(“name”, QVariant(QString, “Casa dietro fuori sensor”)
and the temperature
(“temperature”, QVariant(double, 1901)) (19.01 degrees Celcius (that was in the summer!))
and maybe the battery status
(“battery”, QVariant(double, 100))

https://dresden-elektronik.github.io/deconz-rest-doc/devices/philips/sml001_motion_sensor/
https://dresden-elektronik.github.io/deconz-rest-doc/devices/philips/sml002_motion_sensor/