High battery drainage Xperia 10 III

But again, is it mostly problem with SFOS or the kernel and blobs provided by Sony?
Because we know SFOS can do much better looking at the XA2, and also SFOS mostly doesn’t change what Sony’s defaults.
So a test comparing it to not stock Android but AOSP by Sony could be really helpful to pinpoint the issue

All valid points, but I already said that I know it’s draining more then it should.
It’s just not problematic in any way when really using the phone on a daily basis.

I’ve had a X, the x10, shorly tested the x10 II(no license ), and the x10 III has better battery life then all of them and is a much better device overall then any of them. I really don’t care battery life is only better because it has bigger battery. I’m looking at the thing as a whole.

There are 10 things I would have rather ‘fixed’ in Sailfish OS before this draining issue that is fixed probably somewhere in the Sony kernel sources.

Can you please stop implying that people are not using their phones when they are not actively hitting the screen? I am using my phone by being reachable and having my mails polled, that is my daily base use case. And this use case has been greatly diminished.

That is exactly what you are not doing, you are looking at the “thing” like a kid is looking at a game boy. It might be a nice game boy, no offense, but I do buy game boys from Nintendo.

Game Boys have abysmal battery lifes tho.

Just for entertainment, since we haven’t figured out why yet, but the Volla and Volla22 (aka Gigaset GS290 and GS5) behave very differently where battery drain is concerned. The GS5 has some kind of android blob glitch, ‘probably’. This has very little to do with SFOS and, obviously, since these phones are not Sony is of little interest to Jolla.

@piggz is aware of the issue and, if we find the time, maybe the curse can be lifted. If as he suspects it could be the android layer it might of of general utility.

Any other GS5 / Volla22 users watching the battery?

2 Likes

So use the best device for ‘email polling and being reachable’ then. You could do that with any device. Clearly the X10 III has greatly diminished those capabilities for for you, so why not use one of the older devices if it works better? x10III you’ll have to change every two or maybe three days, deal with it. Those older devices all still get OS patches and are supported. Surely you have other needs for a OS or phone, or you just would have bought a simple phone with Android and a big battery.
You’re not using all the good stuff from the x10III, like great wifi coverage and data speeds, very good performance and smoothness, better battery life when browsing the web then any other Sailfish phone, lots of storage, lots of memory, and more. So why bother with the x10 III then? Chances are very slim that Jolla is able able to fix this with the limited resources they have and they are probably missing expertise on issues like this(working kernel/driver blobs from Sony/Qualcomm that are near impossible to debug). Maybe we are lucky and have some updated sources/kernel released from Sony.
It’s happening on a lot of other phones with custom ROM’S too.

I am still using my Compact X up to this point and the 10 III is switched off.

I never asked for this stuff. Never. But I have no alternative, my old phone is dying and I fell for the promises:

We’ve done our best to ensure Sailfish OS makes the most of all this hardware.
The Xperia 10 III will run far faster and for far longer than the Xperia 10 II.
[…] the amazing effort Jolla’s adaptation team has put into making the Xperia 10 III run as efficiently as possible […]
Source:
Meet the Xperia 10 III with Sailfish OS | Jolla Blog

If I had known that the software is crappy like that I would have never bought the phone and considered an alternative. Oh and by the way, the browser is a shitshow, constantly crashing and lacking even the most basic features. Lots of memory, lots of storage, thats purely hardware related, same with the wifi speed, mostly, I doubt that Jolla writes their own network stacks.

In the end I am very disappointed with what I ended with and feel betrayed and lied to.

Aha, you summoned the flight-mode guy :wink:

This is probably unrelated to other sources of unreasonable power drain, but… Because of a battery-killing bug sometimes triggered by flight mode, I have made a habit of turning flight mode on, then rebooting. (Yeah, I know, but it does help.)

If you try this, do you see the same energy consumption in flight mode?

perhaps because mobile operators are turning of 3G…?

Every Sony phone released from 2014 till now has 4g, including the ones Sailfish supported , the X, XA2, X10, X10II and of course the x10III .

1 Like

You asked why I am using Sailfish, I told you its the outstanding battery life. Why are you using Sailfish? What can you achieve with this system that you cannot achieve with other systems?

You are absolutely right, there are far worse problems in the world - which is why the discussion concerning power drain on the Xperia 10 III is kept here, in an aptly named thread. It’s a long one, where people have contributed various technical aspects or data points that may help in diagnosing and hopefully rectifying the issue.

You have posted that you are satisfied with battery life, which is a valid point and nice to hear. No-one is contesting your experience, and I think we are all happy that you can enjoy two full days of use on a charge. I also think stating that experience once is sufficient for the purposes of this thread.

While good in itself, and something people considering the Xperia 10 III would love to read, it is a different topic. I think starting a new thread - something like Praise for the 10 III or The 10 III as a daily driver - would be really helpful. It could provide your experience (and that of others) with the device from daily use, benefiting those who wonder whether to get the 10 III or to pass.

The arguments as to why one would bother (or not) with the 10 III are completely off topic. What matters is that some people are here because they are genuinely concerned about the subject. If you can contribute towards a solution, please do. Or, if the subject is of no interest to you, please consider just reading or even ignoring the thread entirely. Please don’t pollute an already very long thread.

2 Likes

…same with the wifi speed, mostly, I doubt that Jolla writes their own network stacks.

I can´t complain:

On 5Ghz-WLAN-Access-Point at Home with Sony XZ2 Compact Community Port.

not an expert here, so happy to be corrected:

3G being the last network where voice was separate from data, with future standards making voice a part of the mobile-data itself (volte).

if 3G is turned off then any sailfish phone without volte (anything but a 10ii and 10iii), loses the ability to make voice calls. i.e. be a phone.

is this correct?

1 Like

I never wrote that the wifi speed is bad. Not even something near that.

That’s what we don’t know… We’re mainly discussing the effects, not the causes. I guess that it is both SFOS and the underlying Sony blobs. We already do know that the CPU is configured in some really bizarre way, i.e. Performance governor used for the big cores making them run at 2 GHz all the time, minimum frequency set to a very high level in the Interactive governor of the little cores causing them to never slow down below 1.2 GHz, no offline/online switching, and so on. I don’t know if it was intended or is it a misconfiguration, but it is very different than on the XA2 Ultra, which has much lower power consumption, especially in idle/sleep…

1 Like

It should fallback to 2G if this is still available. If not, thrn there would be no way to make a ‘classic’ phone call.

2 Likes

It’s problematic in the way that the pace at which it eats charging cycles (already 74 on mine since mid July, i.e. merely 5 months) may force us to replace the battery much sooner than it should be, maybe in less than two years of use. Which is what I DO find problematic.

The 10 III has better battery life than them because it has a much bigger battery. Especially than the X with its 2620 mAh battery, or the X10, which has a 2870 mAh battery. The 10 III has a 4500 mAh battery, i.e. almost twice bigger. So no wonder that it still manages to last longer even with such crippled power consumption.

It DEFINITELY is! And SFOS runs amazingly well on it. No question about it. Except for the excessive power consumption and a few minor glitches, it is truly a fantastic phone for SFOS that I really enjoy. But please note that it is a BUG REPORT thread, so it isn’t meant to praise the merits of the OS (that no one questions) but to discuss the specific, exact issue reported.

10 III’s power consumption in sleep at 35-60 mA (and all those frequent wake ups causing 200-400 mA spikes), whereas e.g. the XA2 Ultra in same conditions eats 11-20 mA, certainly deserves a closer look. Just to make it as good as it can be.

We don’t really know at this point where the issue comes from. But at least the CPU configuration (governors, scaling frequencies, online/offline switching of cores) doesn’t seem to be right.

Therefore, if this specific issue reported in this specific bug report isn’t of your interest and doesn’t bother you, I would say that it is you who’s in wrong place in this thread, not those who do have interest in discussing it here. Because just repeating that you’re fine with two days of battery life and you don’t care that the 10 III eats 4x the energy the XA2 Ultra does, doesn’t really bring us anywhere.

So, once again, this is not to bash SFOS or the 10 III, it is a discussion in a bug report thread devoted to that exact issue, i.e. IMO just where it should be. Just repeating that two days of battery life is OK and it doesn’t matter that the 10 III is idling at 4 times the power consumption of the XA2 Ultra, doesn’t really bring anything to this topic.

How can you know? And what if it turns out that simple offline switching of unused cores, like on XA2 Ultra, can do miracles?

And none of them but the 10 II and III supports VoLTE on SFOS.

So, in the first place, why did you come to a bug report thread devoted to this exact issue that is not of your interest?

I’d suggest creating a thread named “Two days of battery life ought to be enough for anyone”. Maybe even Bill Gates would participate.

3 Likes

I just tokk a look at the schedutil governer settings in sysfs and the values don’t look right to me. Up and down rate limit is disabled, which results in many frequency changes.

Maybe someone could post the schedutil settings of another SFOS device which uses the schedutil governor. Settings of any device running Android could also be interesting

I thought those here might be interested. I have 10iii and it spent most of the last 3 days doing precisely nothing.

2 SIMS, one local and one roaming
Data disabled on local SIM, Roaming disabled on foreign SIM
WLAN active and connected
Prefer 4G on both SIMS
4G calling disabled on both SIMS
Android not started