High battery drainage Xperia 10 III

…or in file browser.

Charging isn’t linear, and also discharging. So it takes longer to charge from 90 to 100% than 80 to 90%, did you take that into account?

I bought my 10 III and installed SFOS on the 22nd June and I’m now at cycle 30, which means one cycle per 8.9 days. I’ve been using Battery Buddy since September (thresholds being 25% and 85%). Can this be right? The difference compared to your device seems huge.

31 cycles. I bought mine late November 2021, but it was not until… about a year ago I installed SFOS and actually started using it. But I reflashed sometime this autumn, the last of September, I think.

I can’t account for anything else than my impression that the phone charges faster now without the battery ageing protection enabled, I’m afraid :slight_smile: And my impression is also that the battery drainage is less. It might have been the battery ageing protection-feature in itself that caused my problems (slow/er charging, fast/er drainage). But it might also just have triggered or de-triggered something else. I don’t know, I’m just happy to be back on a normal drainage (as it was before the latest update), and I’ll wait a while before I try the battery ageing protection-feature again.

Now mine says 15 cycles from May 2022, and i have keeping the charge between 20-80% most of the time, so i guess the counter doesn’t really work, if you don’t charge it full enough.

That’s amazing. It would mean that you fully recharge it once every 20 days…

Almost the same, once every 16 days…

Did you guys ever reflash SFOS on your phones? If so, it would probably mean that this counter is volatile and starts from scratch upon every reflash…

It does. Mine says 6 cycles, because I reflashed sfos a week or so, after 4.5 was released.

So, sadly, it’s worth anything only on phones which were flashed with SFOS right after purchase (as brand new, unused units) and then never reflashed…

In all other cases it’s useful only to calculate average battery life (from full to empty), and only if we know the exact date of reflash (number of days since counter reset).

Only by accident. Luckily i found Battery Buddy, so i can keep it within the recommended range.

Sorry, I didn’t express it clear enough. What it actually means is that if your cycle_count was really only “15” since May 2022 (i.e. 300 days), it would mean that it takes your phone 20 days to discharge from full to empty. Which obviously can’t be true, so it must mean that you reflashed your phone (which reset that counter) not so long ago, like one month ago or so. Was that the case?

No, i have never reflashed my phone.

My last flash was in August 22 and my cycle count is 37. I am also using battery budy and charge only to 85%.

Then something else must have reset the counter at some point (or it stopped working altogether) in both of your cases, as its value is technically impossible for such long periods of time…

Can you please:

• check what’s the date of last update of that cycle_count file
  • check in a few days (a few chargings) if it has increased?

Thank you.

1 Like

I flashed my phone only once in May '22, but updated it regulary:
/sys/class/power_supply/battery/cycle_count → “1”

I re-flashed my phone September 29 (that’s the earliest date I can find in file browser, and it matches my memory of having flashed early this autumn) and my count is 32 (was 31 two days ago).

What makes you think something must have reset the counter?

As i earlier stated:

check what’s the date of last update of that cycle_count file

Today.

check in a few days (a few chargings) if it has increased?

I don’t think it will unless a full recharge cycle is made.

No, this is a wrong assumption. This counter (which is also present on Android) works the following way: the process controlling it silently adds up every mAh that you feed into your battery, and when the number of mAh fed into the battery reaches its capacity (which is 4500 mAh in case of the 10 III), the counter increases by 1. In other words, if you do a full charge from 0 to 100% at once, this counter will increase by 1 right away. But if you do partial rechargings, it will wait until those rechargings SUM UP to the battery capacity, and then it will increase by 1, too. For example: a 40% recharge (1800 mAh) + 20% recharge (900 mAh) + 20% recharge (900 mAh) + 13% recharge (585 mAh) + 7% recharge (315 mAh) = 4500 mAh in total and will make this counter increase by 1. Fully confirmed by my own observations on my device (and formerly on my BlackBerry Passport, too).

But that’s only if the process/service/whatever that controls this counter works correctly, which is clearly NOT the case with your phone, or - even more clearly - with @Speedy-10’s phone, whose counter is 1, i.e. doesn’t work at all.

Mine is now at 108, despite NEVER having fully recharged my phone, as I never discharged it below some 20-25%, not to even mention to 0%. I always recharge it daily, usually with 30%-50% still remaining.

I don’t know what causes it not to work on some phones. Maybe it doesn’t react to some types of chargers, or God knows what else.

2 Likes

I agree, it makes sense. May i ask, is this based on actual information on cycle_count behaviour or just observation? I would just like to confirm.

Both.

(+20 characters)