High battery drainage Xperia 10 III

Updating kernel would require updating the AOSP binaries, too, but getting Sailfish to support it is a lot of work, even for minor updates. It would also require the users to flash the new AOSP themselves, which isn’t currently well documented, nor is it “a quick and simple update” to so. The newer AOSP package also bumps Android major version, so it’s double the hassle, likely even worse than that.

TL;DR One doesn’t simply update the kernel :frowning:

1 Like

I was aware that I would not do it for myself, but was curious, if some devs tried this. With Ubuntu it was recommended to use the newest distribution for rather new hardware (or to install the appropriate “linux-generic-hwe-xx.04” some time ago).

Is it known, when a new kernel (perhaps 5.x) will be delivered with sailfish?

What were typical times between “greater changes” with the kernel in the past (because I’m newbee in sailfish)?

10iii and XA2 are using different CPU frequency governors. Affects how quickly/slowly CPU freq goes up and down. I did not run any experiments, so I don’t know is there any significant difference in CPU freq behavior between those HW’s.

Mean value: discharging 1% of the battery in 69,1 minutes .

1. Can someone confirm this amount of discharging of the phone?

I can confirm that this was the drain on the Xperia 5 without sleep in idle: check SystemDataScope for CPU sleep percentage (under CPU overview) and report back.

Updating kernel would require updating the AOSP binaries, too, but getting Sailfish to support it is a lot of work, even for minor updates.

No.

Is it known, when a new kernel (perhaps 5.x) will be delivered with sailfish?

Never will be unless some third party (read: not Jolla) updates the AOSP base with a newer kernel for lena, which means it will be a community port.

10iii and XA2 are using different CPU frequency governors

This only affects runtime behavior and AFAIU the issue also affects sleep here.

Hi voidanix, before I read your post, I found this information about → Forum: LPM.
Yesterday, I used this command:

mcetool --set-low-power-mode=enabled

Last night I got another measurement over 5 hours in Battery Buddy:
Mean value: discharging 1% of the battery in 91,2 minutes
This would mean an improvement of 32% of the battery drainage.
Of course I’ll have to check this the following days.

(@voidanix: I’ll try to get data of SystemDataScope, so far: if I enable “Run colectd” in settings and close the GUI, wait for some minutes; on the next start of the GUI “Run collectd” is still disabled (?). Perhaps I have to start a new issue for that.)

1 Like

Here is my log from May shortly after tge release. As you can see, the phone never uses the low frequencies when not in use.
https://forum.sailfishos.org/uploads/db4219/original/2X/d/db4a33c00aaff62f97ae484018903910efc71428.png

Hi, I wrote an e-mail to info@jolla.com and hope to get a positive reaction:

Hi, I'm using my Xperia 10 III with 4.4.0.68 and I'm quite happy with it.

The most annoying thing for me at present is the fast battery drainage, see also:

https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/high-battery-drainage-xperia-10-iii/12393/23

With the same amount of using, my previous "Moto G9 play" lasts for 3 days without charging, my new Xperia 10 III with SFOS needs to be charged every day.

This will quickly degenerate my battery and a change of the battery will be necessary, which will cost me money again. This affects many users of SFOS and is also not sustainable for our environment.

Could you please deliver a patch in the next few weeks?

As posted by "miau", the sleep mode seems not to work properly.

Thank you for your support,

Maybe it should be reported as a bug. As @miau has shown, never switching below ~1.2 GHz when idle surely isn’t a desired or correct behavior.

2 Likes

Wow. I find no words for the tone here.
Who do you think you are?

From the description (that it appears randomly) it sounds like it is some process(es) misbehaving, and not at all pin-pointed to something under Jolla’s control.

As an aside, i end most days around 70% - that is more than acceptable.

And how do you know the measurement itself isn’t raising the consumption and/or preventing deeper sleep?
Also, lithium batteries hurt more from deep cycles than shallow ones (and you seem to know this), so are you really expecting 3 days within the “good” limits?

1 Like

I fiddled around with Battery Buddy code and made it log the current in verbose mode (expect a release in near future). I’m getting lower values with it, ca. 30-40mA wrt over SSH or pure terminal - which makes some sense. It uses Sailfish-side wake-ups instead of timers or sleep, so it should give rather accurate reading, with least amount of overhead.

3 Likes

Dear Atta,
I asked in a friendly tone, unfortunately the tone of your comment is not very friendly.

On topic:

• The Xperia 10 III with Android is tested in the trade press with “long runtime”, so you can also hope for a long runtime under SFOS.

• I use the Moto G9 play in a reasonable charging range, just like the Xperia 10 III; I am quite familiar with the Li-Ion technology.

• Several people have described in this thread (and others) that the consumption is clearly too high.

• After uninstalling Battery Buddy, I took multiple readings of battery discharge overnight (everything disabled, except: “do not disturb” enabled).
    Results of 1% discharge: a) in 1.0 h, b) 1.3 h, c) 1.1 h.
    → Battery Buddy thus does not seem to have a significant impact on discharge.
    → The power consumption in idle mode is regularly much too high, so it should be improved by changings in the OS.

There was nothing friendly about the demanding tone in that email. I stand by what i said.

The consumption sure can be improved, but it is definitely fine. Don’t compare too closely with Androd from companies with 100-1000x more employees. It is still very usable.

1 Like

Based on values shown by Battery Buddy, it is actually quite power hungry, twice the XA2 Ultra power consumption.

Did any of you compare consumption with fingerprint sensor disabled and enabled.
It is active with screen off, even though someone said it is low power active mode, it still could be a factor.

But there is a high power consumption also when the screen is on (e.g. device unlocked but idle, i.e. no apps running) which is in the 110-200 mAh range (compared to 50-60 mAh on the XA2 Ultra in the same state). And in that case the fingerprint sensor doesn’t seem to be active, so it’s not that.

Today, my 10 III’s stats are as follows:

• finished charging at ~ 7 am at 95% (limit set in Battery Buddy)
  • then an hour of streaming audio with screen off, 3-4% eaten
  • then until 13:00 unused (on standby, 3G/4G on, WiFi on, everything else off, nothing running on it, Android turned off), went down to 86% at 13:00
  • since then some 20-25 minutes of calls and only a very simple use (mainly testing the ambience bug, no apps, not even web browsing, hardly anything) and at 21:50 it’s already at 64%

So it consumed 30% (around 1500 mAh) in 14 hours, 2% per hour, half of which it was doing nothing and the other half very light use. 1500 mAh is not much less than e.g. iPhone 6s entire battery capacity.

This is really bad.

Now it eats even 2% per hour when it should be sleeping. From 95% at 3:10 am down to 87% at 7:00 am, i.e. 8% within 4 hours, doing absolutely nothing. This is CRAZY.

During a phone call, it ate 1% every 3 minutes, which is seriously SICK. When a few days ago I had a long call (> 1 hour) it got so warm that it was really uncomfortable to touch my face with it. During that call it ate >20% of battery.

I am starting to think about moving back to XA2 until they fix it, to prevent rapid battery wear of this newly bought almost 400 euros phone.

On my X10iii “voicecall-ui -prestart” seems to be buggy. It often has a way too high cpu load. After restarting the service it is back to normal.

I am in experimental mode with my 10-iii.

Can you guess the moment when I de-installed the “inactive” APK Pure app?

Edit: FWIW, I used Crest to view what tasks were running unseen.

2 Likes

AIDA64 (Android hardware info app) shows that not only the six slower A55 (1.7 GHz) cores never slow down below 1.2 GHz but the two more powerful A77 cores run at their top 2.0 GHz frequency all the time.

Which not only results in such a terrible power consumption but also in worrying termal conditions (AIDA64 gives temperature readouts of not just the battery but also CPU, GPU, modem, SoC, camera, etc.)

Just a super dirty test; by setting powersave as the frequency governor, I’m getting frequencies of 768000 (6x) and 300000 (2x). So the hardware support is there, but the settings could be tweaked further it seems.

3 Likes