High battery drainage Xperia 10 III

Given my experience with the Volla22/GS5 I think you are correct. I haven’t tried using situations yet, but I noticed that turning off wifi (leaving 4G on) overnight saved about 10% in 6-8 hours. I’ll try situations. Thanks!

Thank you for repeating this, it should not be necessary because its quite easy to understand, but somehow it is necessary to repeat it over and over again.

I just played around with the cpu frequency governors. Setting the lowest scaling frequency to 300000 and the governor to powersave so that it always uses the lowest frequency, made nearly no difference in power consumption.

So i think the power drain is not cpu related, maybe other parts of the phone, like the modem or some sensors are missing some power saving features…

In all pictures above, I can see, that CPU-usage is nearly 0% during charging. This is perhaps a too simple idea:
If one could put the phone in the same state like during charging with a fitting command (e.g. systemctl xxx ??), this could reduce battery consumption (when the phone is not charging).
In the next step, one could try to use Situations to put the phone in this status to desired times

This wouldn’t help. As you could see in the pictures sleep mode is also disabled.

Retested the idle current with 4.5.0.18, and it remains as before ~0.8%/hr
Flightmode, gps off, android stopped. I turned battery saver on this time. I also restarted the phone in flightmode as suggested by @jojomen
edit: tried disabling NFC too - no effect.
edit: Ran with Wifi,BT,Cellular on for 12hrs, 80->71% = 0.75%/hr i.e the same drain flightmode on or off.

I have Skype and VKPortalog running in Android, and I don’t (informally) perceive much excess drain.

BTW, just ran a long flightmode test of the Android 12 X10iii. WhatsApp and Skype are running.
4d18h 60%->39% = 0.2%/hr

1 Like

Do I really have to use Android now. This is so sad. Thanks for your test.

No, just keep on charging :neutral_face:

Sadly i think there is nothing we could do about it.

Probably not relevant, but on the GS5 with 4.5.0.16 which is not really stable I see a lot cpu activity when the device is sleeping that is systemd-logind and co.

1 Like

Same on my X10III. +20

Just upgraded to 4.5.0.18. No change. Still, the main ‘battery’ issue I’ve seen, which seems to be the consistent issue’ is WIFI. Turn that off, and all’s a lot better.

Maybe, wifi isn’t sleeping properly because of some hook related to input checks? Turning off wifi certainly does save battery power.

1 Like

Sorry, but that you didn’t observe what I do, doesn’t make my observations in any way “unrelated” to your lack of such observations.

OK, but what does such a test have to do with real life usage conditions? I own this phone in order to use it, not as a museum exhibit. Therefore, what seriously bothers and worries me is first of all its DREADFUL power consumption not when everything is disabled (as in such a state I hardly ever have it) but with everything turned on, i.e. as in normal in-use state: mobile data on, wifi on, flightmode off. And in such conditions (and still not even actively used), in the very best case it consumes 1% every 40-50 minutes (i.e. up to 1.5% per hour) , which is simply horrible. Power consumption during voice calls is even more horrifying, quite often 1% every 8-12 minutes.

But OK, today when going to sleep I turned off literally everything but mobile network (for voice calls). Mobile data was off, WiFi off, GPS off, Android off, etc. After 8 hours it lost 8%. Just to compare, my previous daily driver the BlackBerry Passport was losing in the same conditions and in the very same place at my bedside, some 2-3% (of a 1000 mAh smaller battery), i.e. some 1/4th - 1/5th of what the 10 III eats.

2 Likes

Sadly this is the only thing that saves the 10iii from being unusable, it’s big battery…

There must be something totaly wron with the power saving. It is not a problem with some CPU settings. Playing around with governors and tweaking their settings doesn’t give any noticeable gains when something else is draining so much power.

Has anyone built and installed Sonys AOSP and checked the power usage in Android?

You would be well served to learn to read and comprehend that which is written, rather than launch into tirades.

You clearly lack the abilities of discernment and logic.

Now, pull your head in!

If to my post that (let me quote): “Sadly, 10 III power consumption on 4.5.0.18 seems to be even worse than on 4.4 you’re answering that “I am not seeing that at all. It is identical with 4.5.0.16 then obviously it is YOU who has severe problems with reading, and even worse with understanding, because 4.5.0.16 → 4.5.0.18 was a small hotfix mainly addressing video playback issues introduced by switching to ffmpeg5, so it obviously did not bring any power consumption changes and no one ever said it did.

So first yourself write something that brings anything meaningful to this discussion (other than that you “didn’t observe” what others did) and only then expect others to discover any sense in it, or feel entitled to scold people, but even then not in such a boorish way.

Over and out.

I go away for 1-2 weeks without power. I need my phone to be in flightmode and GPS and take photos a bit. It must still be working after more than a week. I just went away for 3 weeks. I had to take the Android phone because of standby current. At home I can charge every day or two, and I wouldn’t really care.

Now, lets look at your case.

So lets say 1%/45min = 1.33%/hr
My Android X10iii (see previous reports above) runs at 0.55%/hr cell+wifi.
So if we took my SFOS standby (0.8%) away from your figure
1.33% - 0.8% = 0.53%/hr for cell+wifi
This is same number as I get with Android.

My conclusion: It is likely to be the standby/flightmode current that is the major difference from Android.

Edit: Just tested idle with Cell,Wifi,BT ON. 0.75%/hr i.e. same as with them off.

No.

Now, I don’t watch videos, browse lots of web etc etc on my phone, so I simply don’t have any idea if SFOS is worse than Android if you do. I am only really interested in long battery life under light usage or flightmode. (In Android I usually have it set in “Stamina” mode)
I do play podcasts and music via BT, and it doesn’t seem to add noticeable drain, nor does skype running in AD. (but I haven’t done measurements)

No, it still runs for 2-3 days - I just need better than that. Doesn’t mean you need it too.

You are right, after one week of logging with different setups I come to the same conclusion, but I also get heavy battery drain with mobile data if my VPN is on. In fact, that is even worse than WLAN. Without VPN it is OK.

1 Like

That’s the SailfishOS native VPN solution?

1 Like

Yes, OpenVPN. Paid VPN from ovpn.com.

2 Likes