Help me narrow down list of devices for Sailfish

I thought 10 III would be least glitchy, due to being at the focus of Sailfish OS development for so long?

By the way, considering l want to keep whatever phone l buy for a long time, l might not get the chance to support “Alternative” phone projects for a long time if l buy an Xperia now, and so a decent Alternative phone project may no longer exist by the time l need a replacement. Therefore l’m interested right now in Volla phone, Rephone, Pine Phone, Fair Phone etc., even if there’s a premium to pay, but they must have the flashing LED (sorry if that sounds silly, l might get used to not having it, but l don’t want to even get used to not having it).

Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 does seem to tick all boxes, it doesn’t have a notification LED as such, but uses screen lighting effects to achieve the same thing.

It has a 6GB version.

Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

I didn’t come across any community port that has volte. Meaning that depending on where you live you might not be able to make phone calls now, soon, or in bad quality due to 2G as long as it’s available.

Again, not sure about the specific phone.

2 Likes

FWIW Jolla have mentioned they are working in bringing 5g support.

They’ve only just completed the translation round for the next software release, which means it is imminent.

I think it is well worth waiting a week or so to see if they bring device support for the 10iv if that is more suited to your needs

3 Likes

So many posts and no one mentioned the camera binary blobs. Without those blobs (re-flashing removes all of it) the quality is really bad and OP is looking for a phone to take pictures.

IMO Sailfish is not good for taking pictures if there is not enough light - compared to any Android or Apple device.

1 Like

Naming problem: the port I did was for Xiaomi Mi Note 10, not redmi. Not sure if Redmi Note 10 has one, but I can confirm no leds on mine. Maybe the flashlight(s) could be repurposed :thinking: ?

2 Likes

I hear you but my comment still stands. Ie. Email -quite essential for a business i guess- in SFOS is bad and the browser sucks even more (not being able to display stuff or work properly).

Those two things will cause you trouble sooner or later.

1 Like

Hi there, could you elaborate on why eMail is bad in SFOS?

That post was in reply to @ApB

Hi there, is that regardless of the camera’s hardware spec?

The main issue is the “always up to date” setting doesn’t work. Since forever. This means that emails might arrive late etc.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s good info. Is that so even on the Volla phone?

That always worked just fine for me. Well, sometimes there is a few seconds delay, but I don’t really see that as an issue.

3 Likes

Honestly, to me the mail app is perfect

It has the most sane and logical ui and it’s working rather good

I have two accounts set as push and three set as trigger to check, and they work flawlessy

The browser is meh, meaning that is not bad per se, it’s just having an old engine, and you will have problems with cloudflare until is updated (no timeframe when), which unfortunately is becoming more and more used

Camera is good for taking daylight pictures, meh for low light conditions and almost unservable at night, this while with android i had a fantastic cam even at night, but luckily i’m not into photos so that’s ok for me

You may want to consider this, and take into consideration it’s on an old xa2, maybe with newer models you will have a better camera…

2 Likes

Thanks guys!

I discovered last night that Volla OS allows multiboot. So, l’m wondering:

• Could l install Sailfish as a multiboot option alongside Volla OS on a Volla Phone 22 / X23?
  • Would all the multiboot options draw on the same user data (i.e. photos stored on my device memory and my SD card memory, and also browser bookmarks, possibly also weather and map apps in compatibility mode, and telephone contacts list)?
  • Could a weakness in one multiboot OS cause the entire device to be virused?
1 Like

Do you know if the eMail app updates regularly (= showing recent eMails quite quickly) with SFOS on the Xiaomi Note 10?

@eson & @247 which device are you using SFOS with, for the mail app to be working fine?

X 10 III. But it has always worked fine since 10 years. From the first Jolla Phone, mail app is never a problem.

2 Likes

Pretty sure that depends on the email provider and the code in the email app (service?), the device only matters if wifi or mobile data are actually working etc.

2 Likes

Using an official sony xperia xa2

I have 2 pec mails, 2 hotmails and 1 vivaldi mail

They seems to work good

1 Like

I use a vollaphone, a volla 22 (GS5) and a rephone. and a 10III sony. all of them, as you would expect do SMTP, as you would expect. I do also run my own mail servers, so, maybe it’s just a matter of knowing mail? But, I don’t have issues with mail on any port or official release.

2 Likes