Health: a new app to track health metrics and conditions (WIP)

Hi everyone,

My students are in their last steps to finish the specifications and mockups for a new Health app for SailfishOS, and will start implementing a first version (with an ETA for late November/early December).

I’d like to share a few updates with you along with the first few mockups they designed. Don’t hesitate to give your feedback, but be aware the course is not about a programming course per se, nor a graphical design one.

The code will be released as open source and I’m hoping the community can take the student’s version and refine it to a finished software for SFOS.

Main features:

• Track health metrics
  • Track medical conditions (illness and medications)
  • Track vaccines
  • Track nutrition (calories and water)
  • Meditation (music sessions)
  • Track menstrual cycles

The app will have multiple user profiles.

Mockups can be found here (multiple groups are working on the app, each group developing a part of it, so expect some inconsistency for now, including in languages): https://www.figma.com/file/Dt0IDP18Rod2Itx3kjTuP9/Health-SailfishOS

15 Likes

From a short look at it the design feels a bit inconsistent to me. I get that different people design different parts BUT it would be good if all of them seat together to make it look a bit better.

1 Like

Yes but I have to grade them separately. Most of the difference is with how they use figma and their drawing skills (which is not taught in my course).

At the end, they’ll all use the SFOS default components so it’ll hopefully be consistent.

How about a collaboration with Kuri: Kuri | OpenRepos.net — Community Repository System as they are already offering a similar app :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks but it’s a different app. Kuri is a sport tracker, we’re building a comprehensive health app (medication, vaccines, menstruation, weight and other health metrics).

4 Likes

What abour integration with smart watches. e.g. the Amazfit GTR2.

2 Likes

Nice project! There is a need for reliable health apps without tracking. Success!

1 Like

hey @orangecat ,

did you manage to make the health app you mentioned? did you release it? if not is there any source code / progress that you would like to share?

Thank you in advance

1 Like

I had two groups of students working on the project, each on different parts of the app with some shared code (such as the main page).

Therefore I have two student code bases, mostly close but need to be checked and merged together for the full app.

I didn’t have much time lately to do the merge and release (hence also my little activity here too).

I can release the code as is in a git repo if someone is willing to contribute to clean and prepare a first release. But would like that credits to the students and me, and the license (GPL3) stays.

5 Likes

I’ll be having an undergraduate student group who will work to finalize the application and hopefully release a first version, as part of a development project.
I’ll keep you informed if they manage to release something in the coming months.

9 Likes