Have to restart ophone.service after boot/reboot to see SIM card V4.4.0.64 on Gemini PDA

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.4.0.64
HARDWARE: Gemini PDA
UI LANGUAGE: German
REGRESSION: also on 4.4.0.58

DESCRIPTION:

After boot or reboot my Gemini PDA the SIM card is not shown/detected.
Restarting the ophono.service via systemctl the SIM card is detected and works as experted.
May be a race condition on startup ?

PRECONDITIONS:

Pluged SIM Card on Gemini PDA
Version 4.4.0.64

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. boot or reboot the Gemini PDA
  2. take a look on settings β†’ SIM Card
  3. restart ophono.service
  4. take a look on settings β†’ SIM Card

EXPECTED RESULT:

The SIM card should be detected after boot/reboot

ACTUAL RESULT:

The SIM card is not detected after boot/reboot - restart ophono.service is needed

MODIFICATIONS:

No specific modifications on the PDA

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The SIM card works as expected after restart the ophono.service on PDA and it work without additional actions on other phones.
I read here, that the same behaviour is on some sony devices.
It looks like a race condition starting up the processes?

1 Like

I see a similar problem on my XA2, but restarting the ofono.service doesn’t help.

Just to be sure. You insert the SIM card AFTER you started your phone?

1 Like

The sim card is allways in the phone. I did not remove or plug the sim when the phone is powered on.

1 Like

The problem is still on 4.5.0.16 :roll_eyes:.
The update process shows an error (or warning?) because the ophono process was not running.
It seems that some communication could not be done during update :thinking:.

After the update, have you tried running devel-su pkcon refresh and devel-su pkcon update in the terminal (or similar with zypper, depending on what you use)? Some packages may not have been updated. I always do it this way after the reboot is complete after the update.
I update Gemini with the sfos-upgrade utility (you can find it in SailfishOS:Chum or in Openrepos.net/Storeman). When updating to 4.5.0.16, I had to complete the process by restarting the Power+Esc because the process did not complete.

I tried zypper, pkcon, sfos-update, … without success.
I read at β€˜https://matrix.to/#/#SailfishGemini.de:matrix.org’ that there are more users concerned by this bug. One user wrote there that there is no IMEI after startup.
And digging deeper i/we see, that the ophono service is started, but only after restart the sim card is detected and the IMEI is shown.

Additional the wlan is on but not connected to a reachable net on startup. Switching the wlan off and on again the connection become established.

As i wrote above, it seems that there are some race conditions on the network stack on Gemini PDA - the problem did not occurs on my FP2s.
And on my tablets i have no problem with the wlan connection on startup :thinking: …

And it is also present on 4.5.0.18.

Added to internal tracker

1 Like