GPS stopped working

not sure what the issue same phone same hardware ( XA2 )
android os ( sony) worked great GPS locking awsome in house any where outside etc.

2022-21
switched to SFOS , GPS only locks outside home + when start driving car 4-5 minutes after i start driving car ( google maps ) - and waze ,

, i switched to android waiting and hoping that it will fix in future

now its march 2023 ,
came back again to SFOS same issues ,

Navigation is intergral part of my travel cannot work without , GPS now a days is a critical most thing
SFOS team Please look into this and kindly fix this on priority ,

1 Like

Have you tried suplpatcher?

Hi!

I checked my gps.conf and everything seems alright. But i never got a faster fix than 15 seconds(normaly around 30-60 seconds) on the x10iii.

Grapheneos has its own supl proxy, which can be used by non grapheneos users too.

I changed the AGPS part of my gps.conf to these settings

# FOR SUPL SUPPORT, set the following
SUPL_VER=0x20000
#SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
SUPL_HOST=supl.grapheneos.org
SUPL_PORT=7275

(Yes it is port 7275)

and did some tests.

OUTSIDE 1st test: 3 sec until fix
OUTSIDE 2nd test 2 sec until fix
OUTSIDE 3rd test 5 sec until fix

INSIDE 10 sec until fix.

I did a reboot between every test, so the graphene os proxy seems to work for me.

4 Likes

Updates:

Its working fine , so what i did is i just moved near to the window and got the fixe under 60 seconds ( havnt changed any thing ) . so i am pretty happy, My basic test has been passed which was GPS now i can test the rest which would be pretty fine as well e.g. emails , insta , fb , filemanagers , terminal , whatsapp ( another big challenge
due to DB crypt and non google integration )

1 Like

Hi @miau ,
Thanks for your information and update on the issue. It’s interesting to know that the SUPL request is working with a Let’s Encrypt certificate.

Did you inject the Let’s Encrypt ROOT CA via suplpatcher? If that’s the case and you enabled secure SUPL connection then you should be able to use other vendors SUPL service (the modem wouldn’t reject the connection as the LE ROOT CA is known).

2 Likes

Nope, i didn’t inject any certificate. I only used your suplpatcher, which like you mentioned doesn’t need to patch anything on the 10iii and made the changes above and finally it it is working again.

Just out of interest could someone with an XA2 who didn’t use suplpatcher test this?

A few days ago i read the following blog post (in german):

It provides some nice information about the data, which google gets when using “supl.google.com”.
It also mentions the use of “supl.grapheneos.org”, like @miau suggested.

@miau:

I tested your gps.conf on both of my XA2s. The first try on the first XA2 was with only 2g-mobile-data (provider Aldi Talk) activated and it took too long to get a fix.
After switching to 4g-mobile-data the fix was there after about 40 sec, which is quite fast for my XA2s.

The second try was with the other XA2 with only wifi activated. It did not get a fix after 3 minutes. Switching from wifi to 4g-mobile-data (provider Telekom) did not change anything. It did not get a fix.

Tests where made outside under a clear sky.

First XA2:

Second XA2 next to first XA2 after >3 min.:

1 Like

From your pictures, I conclude that on your second XA2 it’s not a software configuration problem but a hardware problem of antenna for the reception of GPS signal as stated earlier in this topic.
You can try to put some metallic wire in the headphone port and see if the level of reception is better.

1 Like

Yes, it might be a problem with the hardware.

On the first XA2 the cap of the top once fell off. I took the chance and cleanded the contacts, before glueing it again.

This is standard situation with XA2 Devices, just like motherboard connectors for antena wires.
The good idea is to take it apart and clean it thoroughly. My cases shown, that there is always some improvement

Hi,

I tested with mine and do not have a fix. But I don’t have fixes since a long time, even the MLS update didn’t helped me, so I might have a bug elsewhere.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. So, then the suplpatcher route seems the only way on the XA2 to fix the not working AGPS issue.

1 Like

Last weekend i took our dogs for a walk in a light forest under a cloudy sky. With 4g activated i did not get a fix within 4-5 minutes, so i cancelled the test.
The next day at the same location under a clear sky i also did not get a fix within 5 minutes. With my Xperia X (no SIM, only device-GPS, cold start) i got a fix within 2 minutes. GPS on XA2 stays at least unreliable if not unusable. Even with the adaptation of supl.grapheneos.org.

Another problem on XA2 is, if it got a fix, the gps-signal is not “continuous” but “choppy”. In Puremaps the position-mark is stuttering and the map is rotating constantly, because XA2 is often not clear in witch direction it is moving.
XA2 seems to always forget any information of satellites after some period of time. It seems to always start with the use of 0/x satellites in GPS-Info. While the Xperia X starts with e. g. 4/x satellites.

I never had those problems with XA2 in the beginning. I could use it reliably even in thick forests. All problems startet with some update or with the deactivation of Mozilla Location Service. I don´t know.

Same conditions but different situation here. With a Xperia 10ii the GPSInfo tracks 7 satellites but no one is locked (0/7) and thus it do not get the position. The GPS was working pretty well using Android 12 but after the switch to Sailfish, I am not able to receive my position.

* The new location stack does not support UnifiedNlp modules anymore. This was a step necessary to take to get locations properly working on latest Android versions. This means that some features previously available through UnifiedNlp modules do no longer exist. The goal is to merge the most important of those features into GmsCore. For now, the new locations stack is relying exclusively on Mozilla Location Service for network based location.

Would this affect GPS use in Android apps?

Those have the original /vendor/etc/gps.conf for Xperia 10 II and III, could send me that files, pealse? Thanks, R-

Hmmmm Suplpatcher doesn’t work for me.
I have a Xperia 10 II and used

./suplpatch --aosp 10 --disable

which was successful. I changed supl-Servers tried both configurations:

FOR SUPL SUPPORT, set the following

SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
SUPL_PORT=7276
SUPL_VER=0x20000

and

FOR SUPL SUPPORT, set the following

SUPL_HOST=supl.grapheneos.org
SUPL_PORT=7275
SUPL_VER=0x20000

In settings I set location mode to high precision. And of course, I restarted my device a few times.

Anyway GPS fix isn’t quicker than berfore.

The only thing I could think which isn’t correct is, that I think I have installed Sailfish on my Xperia 10 II with Android 11 preinstalled. So maybe i should have used the option.

–aosp 11

If so, can I just run suplpatcher again with this option?

You could use suplpatcher again. What was the output of suplpatcher? Did yoi test it with mobile data or wifi connection?

The output was, that patching was succesful. I tried it just with WLan disabled. so this shouldn’t be the problem. So I try to run suplpatcher again with flag --aosp 11.
I will report…

1 Like