GPS stopped working

Thank you so much for your help. I’ll give it a go. I’ll probably try it first on the X to test the method.

I guess I need to change the sonyericsson SUPL_HOST to google too?

I’ll report back once I’ve had a go at the changes.

Thanks again. :slight_smile:

Here’s another one: “it works!”

Still hoping Jolla would ship a canonical upstream configuration that actually works in the next SFOS release…

2 Likes

Would you be so kind to explain how to reach the GPS config? I tried it via terminal on the phone but couldn’t get to it.

I’ve recently installed Sailfish X on a Xperia 10. Currently I am using it without a SIM card. Yet, I tried GPS with different settings and it took approximately two days until it started working correctly. Currently, it’s fine and very reliable, but I don’t know if I can count on it for the time being.

Use an app like File Browser. On my XA2 the GPS Config file path is Root/vendor/etc/gps.config, you should see a page like this

Swipe left and you then should be able to see the text of the file.

1 Like

@AlanBreen already explained how to find and read the configuration. If you want to edit it, you need to use a terminal and become root. Here it’s up to you, if you prefer preinstalled vi or emacs (openrepos).

1 Like

Anyone else here update to Kvarken yet? There’s official Location configuration recommendation now [release notes] Kvarken 4.1.0

Recommended location settings:

Settings > System > Location > Custom settings: ON

Settings > System > Location > Select custom settings:
        GPS positioning: ON
        Offline position lock: ON
        Online position lock: OFF

I did this, and indeed, position in ride share apps is acquired nice and quick now.

Checking /etc/gps.conf, it looks like my previous changes were bluntly overwritten, SUPL_HOST is back to supl.sonyericsson.com etc.

But even tho location is shown on app map, location tray icon keeps flashing like it’s trying to continue to acquire a lock. Should I just have it open for a while until it gets a lock, or what’s going on?

EDIT I have installed new location info package from Jolla store for my country / region. PS thanks Jolla my Finnish family for “Estonia === North-Europe” :muscle:

2 Likes

And don’t forget to download the matching location package for your region from the Jolla store (official Jolla package).

4 Likes

Will there be a US/North America location package? Either in the Jolla store or Storeman?

You probably get your current location from the new location package information and the blinking icon is just indicating the device it still in process of getting GPS lock. When it stops blinking the device has GPS lock and uses that for more accurate tracking.

Right. I had it sit on a window ledge for 5 h. Wouldn’t that be enough for anything? Still continued blinking. What next? :man_shrugging:

Well according to the posts in different topics related to this issue, it can take anything between 15mins and literal forever for the device to get GPS lock. I would assume if it doesn’t get it in 5 hours, it won’t get it at all. Depending if the phone is just being cranky or the phone sits in bad spot, you can try to either reboot the phone and hope RNGesus is on your side now or change the phone to position with better view to satellites.

If the guestimation by the offline cell tower positioning is enough for you, you don’t have to worry about not having the GPS lock, but navigation might be bit iffy.

1 Like

4.1.0 here. Three hours outside, and still no GPS lock… Doesn’t look too good… I did have the location package installed and settings as instructed, but no lock…

2 Likes

After upgrading to Kvarken I still had connecting issues, but when I switched to Googles SUPL server from SonyEricsson’s i was finally connected to GPS satellites.

Yeah, I’m also suspecting SUPL server first. Can we at-mention someone with Jolla who knows Location system and can comment on this? Why would Sony’s own SUPL server refuse us, or can we get better insight to this from logging subsystems?

1 Like

perhaps this could be asked by someone attending to get attention the IRC community meetings?

that’s indeed a good topic for one of the community meetings

OT
Maybe Google SUPL servers work so well because Google already knows where you are all the time while SonyEricsson doesn’t :wink:
/OT

1 Like

To me it looks more like supl.sonyericsson.com is simply switched off (or the name will only be resolved by some operators’ DNS):

% host -t ANY supl.sonyericsson.com 9.9.9.9   
Using domain server:
Name: 9.9.9.9
Address: 9.9.9.9#53
Aliases: 

supl.sonyericsson.com mail is handled by 10 mailgw.sonyericsson.com.

Furthermore it seems impossible to simply switch SUPL servers, because the SOC insists in using TLS and there doesn’t seem to be a way to upload a new SuplRootCert. Maybe supl.vodafone.com works, but wait …

% host -t ANY supl.vodafone.com 9.9.9.9  
Using domain server:
Name: 9.9.9.9
Address: 9.9.9.9#53
Aliases: 

supl.vodafone.com is an alias for supl.google.com.

:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

The update went smooth without problems. Location service: glad that the Jolla team worked on this. I tried it with MagicEarth and it worked! It took a little when GPS started, but then the guidance was fast enough. Thank you Jolla.

There’s no difference that I can see so far as the time for obtaining a GPS lock with the update to 4.1.0.23. It still takes ages (circa 15 minutes) to get a proper lock.

I’d been holding off from changing the GPS Config file to change SUPL settings in the hope Jolla would make an official change. Sadly that doesn’t appear to have happened. All they have done it seems is to provide their own very abbreviated version of MLS Manager in the Jolla Store. This doesn’t fix the underlying problem for the XA2 so far as I can tell.

Yes, there is an quick approximate lock with an accuracy of 9000 metres (based on the GPSInfo app information). This is purely based on cell phone tower data without acquiring any satellites. I had this before the update. Unfortunately I need better than this. I suspect most XA2 owners do as well.

2 Likes