Google apps in Xperia X?

Hi. Since Yalp Store went down some time ago, I’ve been unable to update my Gapps (basically, I just need Google Maps¹ and my bank app; but I’m afraid it’s going to be worse in the future). There’s a lot of info here about MicroG and Aurora, but it seems they only work on XA2 and 10. Is this true?

Since my Xperia X’s battery is getting old, I’m starting to wonder if I must go for a XA2 instead of buying a new battery.

¹ I know there are a lot of map apps out there, but I’m a professional driver and I need the traffic jams feature. There’s Waze, but I guess it also needs Google Play :frowning:

I had waze running on my Jolla without GPlay…installed from Aptoide store.
There’s a nag screen stating it requires playstore but will run without.

2 Likes

Thanks, but that’s not my point. Waze is property of Google and they could “close” it as they’ve done with Maps (no longer available on Aptoide).

What I need to know: is there anybody here with a Xperia X (Myriad Alien Dalvik 4.x) who can download and install Gapps? Is it possible?

Anyway, long time since the last time I check Waze: it used to be not as good as Maps, but now it’s even worse for my needs. The UI is horrible to catch traffic jams at a quick glance.

Yes, possible … I have deodexed patched files to enable MicroG on X, but they no longer work on SFOS 3.x, since Aliendalvik has been updated from 1.0.85 to 1.0.90. I don’t know what the changes were, so it might be possible to tweak it to work, but it’s not hard to deodex and patch the current files - I just don’t have lots of time for stuff like that … I wondered about downgrading back to 1.0.85, but just downgrading the Aliendalvik package caused crash, so I guess I’d have to figure out what other packages need to downgrade also, (apkd or something…). Maybe I’ll make time soon…

1 Like

FYI, in case you want to test it, Here Maps has traffic jam info, too. I don’t know how reliable it is compared to Google / Waze’s one, though.

2 Likes

@mced

Since my Xperia X’s battery is getting old, I’m starting to wonder if I must go for a XA2 instead of buying a new battery.

G00gle are always closing loopholes as currently have F5122 now running 3.3.0.16 upon which Gapps was installed wayback upon much earlier Sailfish OS using: https://together.jolla.com/question/114608/howto-install-gapps-gplay-google-play-kk-on-tablet-jolla-c-sailfish-x/?sort=votes&page=1
For now can still update apps via Google Play Store v7.3.25.K-all[0] and use Google Maps, however after resetting a F5321 recently it was impossible to replicate this behaviour and can’t download apps via Play Store anymore.
Please don’t purchase any XA2 at the moment as a replacement for your needs as currently GPS is too unreliable to carry out navigation, have a look at this thread:https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/gps-stopped-working/1181

1 Like

@fph Here Maps looks good, but requires “Android 5.0 or higher”. And when I load it into a mobile browser, there’s no traffic option (?!). I can request the desktop version using Android Firefox, but then it’s waaaay slow.

@aspergerguy Yeah, I know the trick, walked that path some time ago. Now I’m using a rather old Maps version; don’t want to mess with it and take the risk of screw everything up. Especially, after reading you about your F5321 issues.

About the XA2 or even a 10, I can hold on for some time. Anyway, those problems seem to be common to all Sailfish X devices and I have no complains about my Xperia X fixes/locks. Sure it’s a bit slower than Android, but nothing really bad.

Thanks everybody.

I am currently using it on an Xperia X (running Sailfish X ofc). Maybe I am just using an older version; mine is 2.0.12823, works just fine and get updates and traffic.

1 Like

Can confirm using Here Maps v2.0.12823 and Google Maps v10.15.3

1 Like