GNU Guix integration

This topic is intended as a point of departure for discussions about GNU Guix + SFOS Initiated by September 27-30 - Sailathon 24 in Prague - #10 by Obikawa

4 Likes

An hour ago I was thinking of finally getting a website up with more notes outlining my vision of the system. It will be a static page exported from an Emacs ORG file, but nothing more is really needed. My home server is already accessible from the internet.

I will post here as I fill out the page contents. Do not be afraid to ask questions — I need them.

3 Likes

This is a very cool idea. Have you considered packaging the free parts of SFOS first, i.e. Mer.

Perhaps that way you can get plenty of help from the Guix community.

GNU should invest more effort in mobile.

1 Like

I have not even stopped to consider packaging itself, because it is but a fraction of value in Guix. At the end of the day, setting up Guix package manager on top of RPM base is something almost no one will decide to use on a daily basis. It is the Guix System that could, among other benefits, reduce preparation of porting environment to a single command, and eliminate the need for virtual machines with specific libraries.

I am already mildly active in the Guix community, currently learning a Debbugs interface in order to become a productive patch reviewer.

GNU has a lot on their plate, and I have my opinions, but I do not want to talk about this topic. The discussion would be a waste of energy of all participants, because it would lead to no real change.

1 Like

Now this is an interesting topic!

I’ve done superficial attempts myself to get Guix running on SFOS but didn’t get anywhere.