GMail IMAP access

My flatmate got a mail from Google:

On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in technology
To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in using Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0.
What do you need to do?
Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier, has less secure access to your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other email software where you can sign in using Sign in with Google.

With a link to Less secure apps & your Google Account - Google Account Help

She uses a “General email” account, as she was unable to create a “Google” account.
Is it likely that such an account will stop working on the Mail app and will a “Google” account work now instead?

It will probably be a good time to get her to update her phone, as she’s still on 3.0.something…

General Email means IMAP, and if that is using the regular username + password authentication, it will stop working.

If it’s using an “App Password” (which you need to set up at the Google Accounts page) it may continue working.

I should(?) have mentioned that it’s IMAP. (does anybody still use POP3?)

As I mentioned, it’s not set up as a Google account because it didn’t work at that time.

I don’t mean the Google type of accounts on SailfishOS, I meant the Account/Settings on accounts.google.com where you can enable 2FA and App Passwords.

Are App Passwords a standard? Asking because I don’t know.
Anyways the Google mail stated

Instead, you’ll need to sign in using Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0.

and they write elsewhere in Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help

Tip: App Passwords aren’t recommended and are unnecessary in most cases. To help keep your account secure, use “Sign in with Google” to connect apps to your Google Account.

I have not confirmed this, but I think by “App Passwords” they mean OAuth, while “Sign in With Google” is using Google Identity Services.
The latter seem to be different things depending on device/browser.

1 Like

App passwords with google are simply api keys to get around 2fa. If you enable 2fa and your device / app doesn’t support 2fa, you can use an app password. I do not know if they are planning to block those.

2 Likes