Getting Starship (& asteroidsyncservice?) up and running

Hey all,

Was very curious about getting a wearable up and running in SFOS and was reminded about the AsteroidOS project, which seems to have a SFOS app called Starship.

“Seems” was the key word there, since apparently Starship doesn’t have any releases on Github (anymore?), so even though it’s present in Storeman, I can’t get it installed that way.

There was a clue in the comments in Storeman about it needing this first: [GitHub - GitHub - AsteroidOS/asteroidsyncservice: A synchronization daemon for AsteroidOS watches on SailfishOS and Ubuntu Touch.

However, it’s unclear to me how I can install that, as it says installing it is only supported on Desktop, not SFOS. It’s also unclear how to install Starship after that, since I haven’t found any documentation whatsoever.

If you could help me piece this stuff together, I’d be more than happy to write documentation on both those projects on Github, because at the moment it feels very puzzling…I did install AsteroidOS on a Huawei Watch W1 and it’s quite neat, but would love to also have connectivity :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for any help!

In the meantime I found this pre-release, which I guess would explain how to at least install Starship: Release 1.0 · AsteroidOS/starship · GitHub

However, it doesn’t install…I assume because it needs the asteroidsyncservice, but does that only need to be built and not also installed?

I had wrongly selected armv7 instead of aarch64 when trying to install Starship on an Xperia 10 III, so it’s at least installed now :slight_smile:

It’s stuck on a Connecting screen, though, so I guess once again I’m back to the question of how to get asteroidsyncservice up and running.

I have the impression that they have some compatibility issues due to wrong version of bluez and it is not working on sfos at all, but you could ask @direc85 directly, i think he is involved in the development of starship. Or you can ask on the asteroidos matrix room, it is pretty active.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I thought they had fixed the bluez5 issue, but it might be in a fork of the sync library, not the asteroidos one…