Get another (Linux-) E-Mail client?

claws-mail is based on GTK instead of Qt. While in theory both speak wayland to communicate with the compositor, in practice the Jolla compositor only implements a old set of wayland protocols. GTK does not support these but rather only a different set of old protocols and a few modern ones. Implementing/extending something like QtRunner to support newer protocols is likely involved.

Then you would need to package the whole GTK stack, lots of tiny packages.

Finally I don’t know if claws-mail uses libhandy or similar to implement a reactive interface or if you would need a magnifier/scrollbars.

There are ways to run Ubuntu or similar in a container with a window containing a separate desktop but I don’t think that would feel very sexy

4 Likes

Note to self: http://trojita.flaska.net

1 Like

Sounds great! :star_struck: What to do to install this?

It’s not mobile ready :slight_smile: It is in QT though, so it might be a contender for us: PIM / Trojitá · GitLab

2 Likes

But then, why not: KMail - KDE Applications

3 Likes

Maybe kube-project.com is an option.

2 Likes

Cool. Way off the radar for me! Looks like kde with minimal deps. kmail has a LOT of deps :slight_smile:

1 Like

But now I have started a discussion.

Actually I am looking for a program for SFOS, similar to claws-mail (Linux) or FairEmail (Android). IMAP enabled, encryption and simple design. In case of need also html-capable.

However, I do not want to install Android support - that costs too much power and the battery of my Xperia 10 is empty faster.

Tested KMail on laptop (Ubuntu Linux), a nightmare for me.

According to Dev environment setup - Kube, it requires qt5 and some additional packages, from which some might also be found in related repositories (e.g. OpenSuSE or Fedora). However, I have no idea what “sink” is.

@Inte sink is a framework for syncing data. uses kcalendercore and contacts. dist/sink.spec · master · PIM / Sink · GitLab

I started with: dist/kube.spec · master · PIM / Kube · GitLab

Having gone through all the spec files which kube depends on, it’s a project which might be suitable in the QT 5.15 context

Sadly , I failed (well, c++20 in 2 packages didn’t help) in creating packages for kaidan and realized that I’m not willing to invest the time. But, maybe it’s one for @rinigus who has the tooling https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/docker-based-build-environment-simulating-native-builds

Personally, I don’t use email on the phone much.

1 Like

Sounds promiscuous and I which I had more time!

I tested Kube on Desktop for a while, and it’s a cute little email client.
However I dropped it because some missing features - don’t remember which exactly but it’s a very “WYGIWYG” (what-you-get -is-what-you-get) design, not a power user tool.

So, might be suitable for mobile use wrt. feature set, but for me it wasn’t adequate on Desktop.

1 Like

You mean:

vserver mail enter
grep -h Subject: /var/vmail/poetaster.de/blueprint/new/*

?

Kidding, although I do this if I’m on the machine, I use claws. claws is just fine.

Kube appears to be a rather new project aiming on replacing kmail in the long run (whith slowly extending it’s feature set). Kmail itself is rather complex and has an unsteady past. I remember the mobile kmail interface beiing available for Maemo/MeeGo years ago but I have the impression those got depracted later.

1 Like

There doesn’t appear to be an email client available on kde plasma mobile yet either!

As a user of KMail for two decades, it is now slow and unreliable. It was a good plain, reliable, program back before the client:server fairies got to it. Sadly it’s one of the many programs that never recovered properly from KDE’s Triassic/Quaternery mass extinction event.

2 Likes

As a user of KMail since 2008, it has always served me well, and still does. Very reliable and configurable. From time to time I’ve tried other email-handlers that has more bells and whistles, but always come back to KMail - with a sigh of relief. Just my 2¢.

3 Likes

Claws Mail 4.0.0 looks good on Ubuntu 22.04, installed right now from Synaptic and will test. Installation went fast and flowless.
edit: email server setup no problems, works fine.