Gecko esr91 work (former "Flypig's gecko dev diary")

I have noticed one side-effect of the update: I used to have the “Browser History Swipes [fork]” installed. It is noted to be compatible up to SFOS 4.4, but it used to work on 4.6 until the latest update of esr91.

After the update it disappeared in the UI and I can’t re-activate it. I think this is more a topic for the creator of the patch, but I leave a note here, too.

1 Like

Is this to be taken out with the updated version of the browser? Or has it been overwritten by the new version (unlikely)

1 Like

I had a quick skim of the patch and see that it only changes two files: PopUpMenuFooter.qml and ToolBar.qml, neither of which seem to have had any changes to them, so I’m not sure why this would have been affected. I’d definitely say this is one for @Kuba77 though.

In the instructions I recommend deleting the prefs.js file before the upgrade. This particular preference should now be redundant.

3 Likes

Is there a complete ready-to-run beta aarch64.rpm-build, which take care of removing all the ESR78-Stuff like mentioned in the blog?

For me the site of my smart home autoation system is nit working correctly.
It’s secured by authentication but the auth window does not pop up.

There is no error on client side.
With other browsers this site is working correctly.

Regarding the update of the Jolla browser to ESR91, I have an idea: the control of media content via MPRIS, for example, on YouTube in playlists. I often use this feature at work on my Linux desktop workstation to play and control YouTube song playlists while wearing Bluetooth in-ear headphones and doing my work in the workshop. I miss this feature painfully on SailfishOS.

9 Likes

I upvote this!
20chars

I finally managed to get this installed, after some struggles of my own making. Now ready to start testing it out.

First immediately noticeable bug: the zoom gesture doesn’t work any more. I.e. the one that lets you use the zoom with one hand by double-tapping into a sliding motion. Tried reporting it on the above link but it asks to sign up.

Potential issue (needs more testing): before just now the browser was stuck in desktop mode. In that state navigation was having serious issues. Interacting with site (clicking links & buttons, scrolling, etc) would stop working either immediately at page load or after one or two interactions (scroll). Zoom with two fingers did continue to work.
Page interaction like scrolling is absolutely critical to ensure it is 200% reliable because it is needed to access the browser menu. In this state, without access to the menu, there is nothing you can do other than kill and restart the browser.

Thanks again to everyone working on this!

Works perfectly fine on my X 10 III.

Hi @d.geelen. Thanks for testing out the browser. Was it any particular site you experienced this with? The issue you’re describing can be a consequence of using old settings with the new browser. Would you mind please deleting your preferences (by running Step 5 from the instructions again, all four commands, followed by Step 8) and checking whether this makes any difference? It’s hard to know for certain whether this is the same issue or not, but it would help if you could please check.

1 Like

Would you mind please adding this to the issue tracker if you haven’t already, with details of the software you’re using. It’d be good to test this and understand why it’s happening.

This would be really neat. Probably play and pause would be straightforward, but I’m not sure how track forwards and backwards are captured by the browser. It’d definitely be an interesting task to look in to.

4 Likes

access to my home automation pages works well with the latest esr91 binaries, ps I have not tried to create a new login session with a token, etc.

flypig:
This would be really neat. Probably play and pause would be straightforward, but I’m not sure how track forwards and backwards are captured by the browser. It’d definitely be an interesting task to look in to.

Maybe there is example code on GitHub or elsewhere taken from Firefox/Linux Desktop Distribution?

I forgot to mention that title transfer with MPRIS would also be nice to have. Imagine you are driving your car, and your Sailfish device is connected to the car audio, displaying the title being played from the YouTube playlist.

And then maybe Spotify Web would also work with this. On ESR 78, Spotify Web doesn’t work; perhaps someone can test it here with ESR91?

1 Like

Doesn’t work with ESR91 either. Spotify Web requires ESR 115 or later. There is still ESR 102 before that :frowning:

4 Likes

Pretty sure it needs DRM too

1 Like

@vige

Thank you for checking.

vlagged:
Pretty sure it needs DRM too

DRM - The cancer of the free Internet: you can buy music in MP3/FLAC…etc format without DRM, which means you truly own it (you can copy and back it up to devices, etc.). I miss this with movies.

1 Like

OT: MP3 sucks slightly less then DRM😡.

any news on how to try the new ESR 91 on 32bit devices?

I installed and tried ESR91 on Xperia 10 IV with SFOS 4.6.0.15. Comparison of ESR91 on Xperia 10 IV and ESR78 on Xperia 10 III (both with SFOS 4.6.0.15).
ESR91:

• in general, it is faster and almost everything works,
  • app home automation Home Assistant works better and faster,
  • when quickly scrolling up and down regular pages (news), the movement is slightly jerky,
  • I haven’t been able to add other search engines yet (Apps from Storeman don’t work on 10 IV and I don’t know where the configuration files are).

A job well done, thanks.

EDIT: I added the search engine manually

3 Likes