Gallery needs hours to show a new photo taken with camera

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100‰
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product):
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): XA2
UI LANGUAGE: German
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): did work on Rokua, and previous versions

DESCRIPTION:

Take a photo and try to look at it in gallery

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. take a photo with jolla camera
  2. swipe to homescreen
  3. open galley app

EXPECTED RESULT:

The new taken photo should be shown in Gallery.

ACTUAL RESULT:

The new taken photo is not shown.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

A new taken photo shoud appear in gallery immediately. In my case it takes hours before the photo can hee seen in gallery. This did without problems work on 3.3 Rokua and before.

1 Like

See my reply to your other question; Gallery doesn't show screenshots

I believe tracker again is the culprit here. Obviously this is not a fix, but it should correct the problem.

Also, in your other question, @coderus commented that images can appear at the end of the gallery, so again, tracker reset should correct this.

But in the end the solution can’t be to run tracker manually from time to time - an at least the problem is new since 3.4 and I never experienced something similar since I’m with Sailfish OS (what started with Jolla C).
So there must be some kind of bug…

Yes it is a bug without a doubt, I implied as much with my last comment. I have encountered it a few times over the last 6 years, it was also reported by others in together.jolla.com, but it never got fixed.

Looking through my setting I found in the Camera settings that the storage for pictures was set to internal and GPS/geolocation off (what both is not my usual setting, but I guess I didn’t look for that after the last reset).
So I changed to sd card and geolocation on. I took a photo, and the picture was already in gallery when I opened the App. A Picture taken some hours before was not there.
So I made a test: Switched camera storage back to internal, made a photo, opened gallery, photo is missing.
Again, switch camera settings to sd card, take a photo, open gallery, and - the photo just taken with store to sd card was missing first, but appeard a second later while the picture taken a minute before with camera set to internal storage is still missing, also the photo taken in the morning.

So the problem seems to depend on the camera set to internal storage instead of sd card.
And more: I never had this problem before 3.4. As early adopter I needed to reset my XA2, and I enabled encryption now which I had not before the reset. The Sd card is not encrypted.

So I guess the encryption is the problem.

Edit: Missing photos from internal show up shortly after a reboot (does rebbot trigger a media db scan?)

Same with the deletion of pictures. While the delete process deletes the file the media database is just gets updated after reboot. So after deleting the preview picture is still shown in gallery grid, but just gives black screen when tapping onto it.