(gallery) exclude music folder

It has been reported multiple times since day one but this still hasn’t adressed on 4.5, so i am asking it again

Please please please, exclude the music folder from the gallery app, as the gallery view really become that messy

I find it odd since i have a ton of music and such in ~/Music/ and they don’t show at Gallery view.

Maybe you could try placing .nomedia at that directory?

1 Like

I think the issue is possible album covers showing up in gallery.

You could implement the covers into the tags of the tracks and remove the .jpg or whatever from the musicfolder.

Exactly, my music is stored anyway, in ~/music, but on the sd card

Right, but most of my files are flacs and oggs, and the default player has a bug that does not read embedded art for some formats (day 1 bug never solved)

Empty file titled like this?

Jip, empty file named “.nomedia” (Without the quotation marks :wink: ) in the folder.

P.S. If you want to exclude everything from a folder from being scanned, you can put an empty file named “.trackerignore” in the folder (As far as I know).

We already exclude the ~/Music from gallery. However when an SD card is used to store music we don’t really know what directory is meant solely for music and what’s for pictures. There are no standard folder names or anything like that there.

Not the answer i wanted :stuck_out_tongue: but thank you the samo, don’t you worry :slight_smile:

I have music on sd card in a non music folder.
.nomedia does not index the folder
.nocover does do nothing: all cd cover are still visible in gallery

i did move some music files to sd card - to Music folder but .nomedia hides both all pics and music

Hi,
i have now created following:

• sd-card
  •         \Music

•              .nomedia

•              \Musika

•                         \Ac Dc

•                         \etc.

then i did create a symlink in ~\Music as follows:
ln -s /run/media/defaultuser/3071b209-f152-4263-86d7-3c13d6639cb8/Musika

result, no audio files were indexed

any hints why ?

btw. initally i had no rights on Musika for media_rw group, i did add them, did not help

later i did the same on the link, both trials did not help

Iirc, .nomedia has a recursive effect.
For this reason, all what is contained in the same directory as .nomedia, as well as what is under it, will not be indexed.
as Musuka is neibourghing it, il will not be indexed.
I’d say that the real path has the priority over the link, even if, from the link pov, there is no .nomedia file.