Gallery app loading images outside of image folders

well the solution would be easy. Settings for gallery where user could manually add folders which he’d like to exclude.

For the sdcard I think that the same patterns could be applied than they are right now for the builtin memory and of course this could be possible to disable using… gallery settings.

Unfortunately the SD card use case doesn’t sound so simple to me, given we can’t assume there’s a particular folder structure on the SD card.

I can see that adding the option to exclude particular folders would work better for you, but this would definitely require additional design and implementation work. I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, but it’s not going to be an immediate fix for you I’m afraid.

I originally started looking at this because you raised it as a topic for the community meeting on Thursday. Are you still interested in it being discussed there?

well it’s simple…
SFOS expects the following directories in the /home/defaultuser:
Music, Documents, Pictures etc
so if sdcard has Music folder in the root dir then assume it’s the same as in /home/defaultuser but as I said, make it a config variable.

well it can be done right now adding config page to the gallery settings

well I asked a question:

Since the request is right now 10 years old! I’m allowing myself again to ask for the date, when we can expect this to be fixed/implement?

and I’d like to get the answer. A lot of people commented and it seems a lot of people asked for this. It would be nice to either say - “we will do this for the next release” or “nope we don’t care”.

Also, I could try to add that gallery settings on my own but I’m not sure how to handle this. I was looking at sailfish-weather settings. There’s that file: /usr/share/jolla-settings/pages/sailfish-weather/SettingsPage.qml I’m missing similar file for gallery. Well it’s obvious since gallery has no config.
If someone could help me with this I think that maybe I could try to look at it the same way I handled the address bar today.

Understood; I will keep it on the agenda then.

If I’m right, you can add a file called .nomedia in the directories where it shouldn’t be listed in the Gallery.

this is not an option. Cause then my music won’t be indexed.

AFAIK, we have .nomedia, .trackerignore and .backup-metadata (https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/newly-created-images-displayed-twice-in-the-gallery/9357)
They seem to be synonyms to exclude a dir from tracker indexing.

The simplest to implement, as starting point, would perhaps be having files like .nopicture, .nomusic, .novideo....
We could place those files to selectively exclude directories from indexig.

1 Like

Tracker is not owned by Jolla, what’s worse it’s part of Gnome means almost impossible to do anything there.