Gallery app does not show some pictures when launched regularly , but does show them when launched from CLI

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.2.0.24 Verla
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): X10DS
UI LANGUAGE: en
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): yes

DESCRIPTION:

Gallery shows some pictures with ‘oops no thumbnail’ in the gallery view, and can not load them when touched.

If launching jolla-gallery from terminal, the same pictures have a thumbnail and do load.

PRECONDITIONS:

unknown

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. see description

EXPECTED RESULT:

All available pictures are shown

ACTUAL RESULT:

see description

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

location, user, group and permissiins checked, no difference between affrcted and unaffected images

2 Likes

So it works with running jolla-gallery but not when launched from the app drawer?
What happens if you run sailjail -p jolla-gallery.desktop /usr/bin/jolla-gallery from the terminal?
Presumably it would be the same as when launched from the app drawer, and it would then suggest a jailing issue.

Which would then prompt me to ask if they are really in the same (and accessible) folders. I trust you when you say that you checked that other images in the same place work. But are they non-standard folders? Could it be that those working have old thumbnails from pre-jailing times?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

The sailjail command produces the same phenomenon as launching from app drawer, so yes jailing is likely to be related.

Output also states clearly that:

hiding /run/firejail/mnt/privileged
[D] unknown:0 - Using Wayland-EGL
[W] unknown:46 - file:///usr/lib/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Gallery/ImageViewer.qml:46:5: QML Image: Cannot open: file:///ho
me/nemo/Documents/Hobbies/Reenactment/LaTene_Mitterkirchen/Linz_Schlossmuseum_-_Mitterkirchen_Schüsselhelm.jpg
[W] unknown:46 - file:///usr/lib/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Gallery/ImageViewer.qml:46:5: QML Image: Cannot open: file:///ho
me/nemo/Documents/Hobbies/Reenactment/tom_bestellung/Aga_Khan_Museum.jpg

Previous version was 4.0, everything was fine. Now I OTA updated to 4.2 and the problem appeared.

The affected files have nemo:nemo 0644 permissions, and files next to them work fine…

About pre-jailing thumbs: where would I find them to check?

Strange, gallery should not have access to Documents anymore. Can you open them and view info about them, zoom in etc. too?

Seems to be in subfolders of ~/.cache/org.nemomobile/thumbnails
I believe actual viewing also technically goes through the “thumbnailer”, at least for not full sizes.

Strange, gallery should not have access to Documents anymore.

Ah, that is it! The neighbouring files actually do not open, but do show in the list, and have a thumbnail!

Disallowing Documents is unfortunate for my way of organizing files, but that is a different issue.

2 Likes

Question remains though: why does/can the Tracker indexer access and index files the Gallery can’t display?