Freenode 'hostile takeover'

It looks like it might be time to move to :
https://libera.chat/

See details: https://www.kline.sh/

And some more background: https://blog.bofh.it/debian/id_461

2 Likes

iā€™d prefer if everything moved to matrix TBH.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll vote against. Matrix users can easily acess IRC, not the other way around.

1 Like

Iā€™m also more of an irc person. Iā€™m in the middle of a chat upgrade at work which may well go matrix, but even then, Iā€™m building (using matterbridge) bridges so that xmpp and irc can interact with, well, whatever we implement (at the moment i can go to several rooms on xmpp<->mattermost<->matrix).

There are also a LOT of other forums on irc that are simply not matrixā€¦

1 Like

While I am personally a fan of Matrix, Iā€™m not sure if that move makes sense on short notice. Bridging from Matrix -> IRC works, but is simply not as nice as the other way around. On the other hand, I do like the Telegram <-> Matrix bridge more. While I use everything via Matrix nowadays, I think moving to libera may make more sense for now. (Btw, Iā€™m Nico/Nico[m] on IRC)

In the future Matrix with the upcoming Spaces may be nicer for discoverability of other related Sailfish spaces, like sailfish-meeting, etc,

8 Likes

Agreed. Itā€™s case of small steps first.

I wonder if Iā€™m the only person on the planet that still uses pine.

Yeah, join us young, hip kids by switching to Chappa Alpine! Cool dudes like me are using it.

I thought SFOS was cool :slight_smile:

Skipped Alpine, ended with mutt :wink:

What? inotifyfs -> tail is good enough for me :wink: (crypto is a bit of a hassle).

Drama on freenode was since always, feenode was made out of drama.

lilo, the founder, pissed off all the original admins, they went and made their own network, oftc

Jumping on this drama and moving just because some people told you to do so is not very smart or mature. This entire drama wonā€™t affect any of sfos channels at all as long as servers will keep running so thereā€™s literally no point in moving just because thereā€™s some drama

Hmm. Well, it happens that Iā€™m acquainted with one of the persons. As to my intelligence or maturity, I will grant I may be overreacting. But Iā€™m giving credence to the stories of the operators. You seem to be dismissive, because?

I have no time for drama. I also have no desire for my data to end up in a silo on that side of the pond ā€˜ownedā€™ by whomever.

So what is the superior information you have on offer? Iā€™m very seriously thinking of putting money into this since enough people express a desire to go in a direction like matrix (e2e crypto is nice) and I now have enough means to support the bridges.

Some drama. Hmmm. The world is full of drama currently which keeps me from crossing borders, is keeping some people in bomb shelters and is absconding by means of not-so-subtle trojans encrypting ā€¦etc, etc. What is it your trying say, other than that Iā€™m immature.

Back. to work.

3 Likes

IRC data is public anyway come onā€¦

I donā€™t really know what you want from me. Iā€™m a person who runs most everything in the clear. So, itā€™s not hard to figure out who I am. That is not the point. This is clearly a power grab that merits thinking about moving to another service. man.

I say we donā€™t change anything because thereā€™s no point to float on drama

Itā€™s not drama. Even if it is dramatic. It is one person abusing ownership of a domain to wrest control from the others. Iā€™ve seen it before. Iā€™m leaving freenode one way or another.

Floating. On. Drama. The only person floating on drama here, is you. You continue to accost me (why, other than drama?). I have no flesh in the game, I just donā€™t trust the current operator. The reasons are legion. You have given not ONE iota of concrete information.

The information as to what is going on is public. Everyone can decide for themselves.

Tbh, without knowing much about the space and only reading these couple of posts, Andrew Lee seems to have better argument and side of the story.

People calling others names, both sides telling their sides of the story and how itā€™s ā€œunjustā€. So yeah. Calling this drama is not unfounded.

Best course of action is probably to take note and be ready for a change of platform. In the meantime, maybe just keep using freenode?