Forum censorship - The Issue

Funny, because I do remember a moderator asking to point out any posts that were fixed and not against the rules but still flagged. I did not see an adequate reply. I did see someone pointing at other post that were “offtopic”, which to me seems not a valid argument.
Now it seems the topic gets changed that there is no moderation (which is untrue). Most often such a topic change happens because people have run out of arguments.

1 Like

I didn’t say there was no moderation. What I said was:

which is quite different. On occasions I have seen Jolla folk intervene, but it is not consistent, they don’t always follow their own rules, and there is quite a lot of posts and/or flagging that might well fall into the need for moderation, but escape untouched. Please see my previous posts.

Finally, nobody was trying to change the subject of the thread. Again, if you read my post above you will see that I was simply making the argument that if, on any forum, such moderation as described above does not take place, or only takes place infrequently, or randomly, or inconsistently then ‘community flaggers’ are left to their own devices and can flag posts according to their own personal wishes in a completely unchallenged and totally anonymous way. Those posts can then subsequently be hidden and finally removed permanently from view - which of course then brings us back to the censorship aspect.

3 Likes

So, still talking about big abstract issues, while failing to point out real issues. Apparently there are no forum posts that fall within the rules but are still flagged, so I see no problem anymore. Everybody can be happy :wink:

1 Like

Well, at least I am talking about the issues rather than trying to score personal points against another forum member (contrary to Jolla’s guidelines) - but, hey, if it floats your boat you go ahead :laughing:

2 Likes

Well, freedom of expression or something :wink:

You do know that this is all turning into a lot of nonsense, right?
Some points might be valid and I trust they will be picked up by the people at Jolla. But come on, all this hatred and vitriol? That is the level at Facebook and Twitter.

In the meantime I am enjoying a Chimay Blue here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do not intend to annoy you but I am used to a more civil atmosphere in discussions. Maybe this forum is becoming a place for the more robust ones.

2 Likes

Cultural differences in habits and perception can play a role. In The Netherlands e.g. people are very direct and often rude, at least it is perceived as such by others. While in the UK people hold back on their true opinions, what can be perceived as hypocrisy by others. Rude behaviour seems to be made ‘easier’ online, but research found that people who are rude online, often are also rude in reality.
I think most of us agree with the rule that rudeness and ad hominems, also the cynical ad hominems, are not tolerated.
A very different question is the anonymous flagging, but I have made my point about that already.
Another question: are contributors to this forum allowed to be critical on Sailfish? When are the lines crossed?
Thirdly: off topics. Please don’t make it too formal. We are not robots.

Hearts are visible, so flags should also be.

3 Likes

Sure, but in some recent discussions some lines were crossed it seems. Calling a release of Sailfish rubbish and shit was flagged to invisible. When people were claiming that is was censoring and were making comparisons with dicatorship and communism, those posts were flagged as well. I think this kind of criticism is highly unrespectful and unreasonable and I see no issue with flagging that kind of rubbish and shit :wink: If people want to post that kind of “criticism”, the expected response will be flagging.
I would think criticism is about the content. When you just want to use swear words you can expect a pushback, which is very different from censoring of flagging contentful posts.

It does seem however that reasonable criticism is not very much possible currently, it gets ugly very fast. I do hope people become more reasonable again soon. In my opinion, it should be and it is possible to say almost anything, as long as it is brought somewhat reasonable.
(I am Dutch by the way, but not the rude kind).

3 Likes

i am an active member since 2016 and untill this year there was no need for such threads.
people just knew how to behave and if somebody overacted once, so be it.

in together.jolla everybody was more polite.
and rather the answers were rude or sarcastic then the questions

nowadays questions are more rude and threads like this: sorry but we are all adults, do we need to spent literally hours to discuss how to behave online ?

we did not need flaggin in toghter.jolla.com
nor sure why we need it now.
guess because that feature comes with the new forum.
i think karma worked better

in any case, if somebody gets flagged he should be told why.

but to call that whole thing censorship … sounds a bit like first world overreacting to me

i am in an other forum (cars) where a guy was kicked out after 10 years and 15000 posts, he was like the one with most posts, still they kicked him out for life, cause he turned berserk in one thread

4 Likes

I wonder if people would have been as up in arms if the posts were hidden from 10 downvotes, instead of flagging. Most likely not. Many of the examples here sure would have accumulated some. So once again i’m struggling to muster sympathy since the effect would have been the same.

I agree, probably not. But then you could see the strength of feeling against a downvoted post by the number of downvotes, and presumably the usernames of the people who had downvoted the post as well (just as you can with likes on this forum). So it would at least be transparent and honest. And if the same user(s) always downvoted a particular user’s posts for no reason, then that abuse too would be there for all to see. You get none of that with this flagging system.

4 Likes

You have found a workable and much better solution!

1 Like

So: in posts by members criticism is allowed, but rudeness (scolding, cursing, ad hominems, etc.) is not tolerated. In order to keep these rules moderation is needed. The second reason for moderation is ‘off topic’. This in order to prevent that the posts grow into a tittle tattle conversation. Yet, one shouldn’t be too formal and too strict. Try to keep it human.
Moderators could also contribute to a nicer forum by trying to understand why people are angry, disappointed or upset. It does not help saying “I don’t have this problem” and simply flagging away does not do much good either.
I agree with Pawel that moderators should be given a reason for being flagged.
This is my last opinion.
Wish you a nice holiday, merry Xmas and a better new year.

2 Likes