First comment on the new Sailfish OS Forum

Clicking a thread link does jump to the most recent post, and using this thread as a guide, note how a desktop web browser’s scroll bar keeps getting smaller as you move towards post #1. So I guess you are half right. I am a strong believer in the KISS principle and still prefer an option to paginate.

Oh, and I did find site configuration options by clicking on the upper-right profile picture (?) icon, then the username on the menu, then Settings. While it’s a common design decision today, I also find it ridiculous to have to hunt for settings when there is so much negative space at the top of the page. “Log Out” should be 1 click, not 3. :frowning:

2 Likes

Never used Discourse, so I’ll just have to learn all over again, but hey… it looks nice at the a first glimpse. :confused:

2 Likes

Seems very nice as first impression. But writing here is hard, as keyboard goes over reply box and you can’t see what you’re writing.

5 Likes

Hm, I’m still at SFOS 3.0.1.11 on a Jolla Phone, so not using the last browser engine update but this site seems to work fine and I don’t have that problem vk covering text box.

1 Like

I tried entering a reply (to thread) in mobile view - which is the default on my Jolla C - with both the Jolla browser and Firefox for Android. The Jolla browser’s vkb hides the reply box whereas Firefox doesn’t. It may not always do that but it repeatably did so for me.
You could experiment with desktop view (hamburger menu, top right); that seems to allow you to shift the reply pane up.

3 Likes

Yeah, Desktop view works better for writing messages. But still, a shame the official browser gives this kind of experience by default.

2 Likes

Yes, but …
https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1568257&postcount=9
:slight_smile:

And to add to that:
only in landscape you have the preview on the right whereas in portrait you see the options ‘hide/show preview’ but you do not see it!

1 Like

Okay, so then #50

Yes that would be great :blush: :+1:

Discourse is an ok choice for a community forum.

I wonder though: is there an app for sailfish to use this forum?
I mostly used tjc on my phone (thats why i had typos all the time :P)

If not: kind of a must for a mobile os to have its community platform accessible via phone (btw - i think ubtouch also uses discourse)

1 Like

https://openrepos.net/content/szopin/sfos-forum-viewer

App on openrepos (viewer only though).

A full blown app could come handy though.

1 Like

Yeah, changing it to a full blown client is a bit daunting, oauth and credentials storage seem like just the tip of the iceberg, topic posting/editing, comment posting/editing, messaging, notifications, profile functions… Doubt I’ll have both skills and time to tackle all that and on top of that forums also behave differently when logged in vs anon access (but at least topic tracking would be solved this way automatically). I’m hoping 3.4.0 browser changes will make it at least somewhat useable (then again source is open and contributions welcome, just very unlikely it will evolve into a proper client by myself https://github.com/szopin/harbour-sfos-forum-viewer )

2 Likes

I’d be willing to help anyone with graphics and UX stuff in case he is committed in creating a full featured app BUT the last thing i want is going through the work only to have something abandoned in the shop/openrepos that will not be good.

3 Likes

So, @JSEHV
now heading for the 100?
:slight_smile:

I really like the new forum so far. It is much easier to follow the discussions here than on TJC.

1 Like

if you - or someone else - puts some work into that: please bear in mind that a “simple” discourse forum is used. So this could be an unspecific app with maybe the possibility to add forums of choice.

e.g. on frdoid (in their discourse forum) there is also a related discussion.

2 Likes

Yup, it’s enough to update the source url and almost everything works out of the box (fdroid has malformed json in category view causing json.parse error, but purism forum works out of the box, might do a side release as a generic viewer for discourse forums, is there a list of those somewhere?)

On the plus side managed to check and thread with 347 posts works with current approach (chaining 327 &post_ids[]=…) was worried would hit a limit on either url length or forum side

3 Likes

Is it not possible to dislike topics/questions or am I missing something?

Welcome to these modern times: You are only allowed to like things!

Dislike, disregard and even more so explicit criticism is not wanted and now defined as evil behaviour. ;-\
But that is a common phenomenon of these modern times, this forum software just exhibits this (as so many other things do).

1 Like

This is sadly so true. Constructive criticism should be welcomed by all, not derided or dismissed as it so often is, as this is an essential part of making things better.

If all you ever hear is how good or wonderful things are then change simply doesn’t happen - and this equally applies to products, situations and people.

1 Like

I consider a ‘Dislike’ button as senseless in a technical oriented forum like this Sailfish forum.

The like button helps to find helpful information, the same way the ‘Solution’ mark does in the bug reports section.
If you dislike something, then you can answer the post and discuss the topic, this is better for all than that simply someone clicks the dislike button without any reason.

@olf , @Steve_Everett : regarding everything where points of view and/or opinions are discussed, I fully agree with you!!

1 Like