Fingerprint support in Android

Are there any plans to support fingerprint readers in Android apps?
I’m using an XA2 and some banking Android apps daily, and it would be pretty cool to use my fingerprint instead of typing a 6 digit PIN code every time.
Thank you!

7 Likes

I agree. This is a must have, especially since ownKeepass does not support biometric identification and the sailfish browser does not communicate with it to autofill forms… iOS has still 10 years in advance over any competition, unfortunately…

This is a must have nowadays. I’m using android app (certilia) for signing documents which requires use of biometrics. Until this is implemented I’m unable to use SFOS as daily driver.

Is this even planned for some future release?

That app is the culprit. Biometrics is and was always intended only as a shortcut, not the only means of authentication. They should have a PIN or a password. Can you try telling the app developers?

1 Like

This a government based app for signing all kinds of documents. You can either use this app with biometrics (exclusively) or you can use combination of smart card (personal id card) with smart reader and app that only works on windows.

As a linux user a don’t really have an alternative here and app developer (our country) most certainly will not allow PIN-only usage (it also makes no sense without biometrics).

All in all, android app support in SFOS is a payed component and I expect this to be implemented (rather sooner than later).

I mean, I agree with you that it’s a must have and am myself tired of writing some kind of PIN multiple times a day, but it still is a bad UX to require the use of biometrics, because it’s literally meant as an addition to conventional systems like PIN, password or pattern (which is just a PIN with different UI).