Fingerprint reader does not unlock when display is off

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): Any version with fingerprint support
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): XA2, 10
UI LANGUAGE: Irrelevant
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): I think this bug exists since the start of fingerprint support.

DESCRIPTION:

Unlocking the phone with the fingerprint reader when the screen is off does not unlock the device. It merely switches on the screen. A second scan is required to actually unlock the device or, alternatively, one has to wake up the screen first by pressing the power button before using the fingerprint scanner.

PRECONDITIONS:

A device with a stored fingerprint and screen that is turned off.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Add a fingerprint to unlock the device
  2. Switch off the screen
  3. Try to unlock it by pressing the finger against the sensor

EXPECTED RESULT:

The screen lights up and the phone is unlocked

ACTUAL RESULT:

The screen lights up, but the phone is not unlocked.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

4 Likes

Is that not a feature? :wink:
At least this is since years like this:
display off - fpd wakes and unlocks device
display off and device locked - first fpd wakes display and second unlocks

1 Like

It’s indeed been like this for quite a while. I wouldn’t call it a feature, though.

If I want to wake the display I press the power button. If I want to unlock the device I use the fingerprint reader.

2 Likes

But only one single control for two functions!
It’s not a bug.
It’s a feature!
bzz, bzz and there you are!
:grinning:

Apparently waking up is so different from unlocking that it cannot be done in one action. (I think there was something about this on TJC)
So neither a feature, or (technically) bug, but a slightly annoying limitation.

On both the X and 10 II they are the same thing - so not really an option for many people.

At least on 10 II there is another option: magnetic case. Open case → wake display, fingerprint → unlock :slight_smile: The only downside is the (un)availability of magnetic cases. I simply added a magnet to a regular case.

Technically, you can just press the power button with another finger.

Bug still present in 4.3