File browser missing in the basic jolla apps

it will be great to have a file browser app where you dont need to download it from jolla store

Whatā€™s wrong with choosing one from the store?

1 Like

cause it is a important app to have , so why not having it in the principals app of the sourse

1 Like

There is a basic file browser.
Go to Settings - > Storage - > click on partition circle -> from pulley menu ā€˜file managerā€™

12 Likes

To call this stub a basic file browser is, letā€™s say, "a bit " exaggerated! Isnā€™t it?

Better is really to use the file browser from store or even -way- better the one file-browser-beta from ichthyosaurus on OpenRepos
https://openrepos.net/content/ichthyosaurus/file-browser-beta

and he also has it tweaked to have su rights!
https://openrepos.net/content/ichthyosaurus/root-mode-file-browser-v2
(which I do see as security hole but hey, it is your phone ā€¦)

And the OP is right this is missing in the system since 2013!

1 Like

But hey, it is your phoneā€¦ So by default Sailfish is pretty bare, and it is up to the user to choose what to install. File browser (proper one) is not included in the small set Jolla offers, but neither is huge bunch of other stuff you find from Android phones (and cannot even uninstall if you donā€™t want them). And very few of the apps from Jolla are mandatory. Your phone, you decide.
The file browser from the store is pretty good (imho) and if there is a better one available, use that. One can argue should the file browser be in Jollaā€™s initial offering, maybe, but as one (or several) are available, it does not matter much.

7 Likes

Oh, it does.
See app Defender, it crashes encrypted SFOS devices to not boot. (abandonded, no fix!)
See aliendalvic control, it crashed aliendalvik to not start. (luckily fixed)
Lots of other apps needs re-compilatuon against changed system libs on upgrades
ā€¦

1 Like

Thereā€™s that. But in a way you are pushing the maintenance responsibility from application developers to Sailfish developers. Lazy devs donā€™t maintain their application in timely manner so better to have Jolla to take care of this. That said, I do understand your concern and maybe a bit bigger set of core applications should be provided by Jolla.
Likely a matter of resources on Jollaā€™s side.
I donā€™t know enough of the application development cycle, perhaps it is too hard to have CI which is activated whenever dependencies change, and push the updated artifact (application) to store.

3 Likes

It is just that it needs to be done.
Maybe trigger compile and push to store/openrwpos is enough.
Maybe needs some adaption/time.
Maybe dev has just abandondedā€¦

He did write basic not decent, so yes, you can browse your files.

2 Likes

This is true for an inserted SD card, yes.
But what about your ~ directory?
User data (only opens the mimed app) or system data (no access at all)

What it is good for is a quick glance upon the used flash capacityā€¦

It would certainly be user-friendlier if this ā€œappā€ was available as an app icon.

2 Likes

@lkraav - You can add an icon to launcher for sailfish-filemanager with the following command;

devel-su pkcon install sailfish-filemanager

The sailfish-filemanager is already installed to the OS, all we are doing is adding the launcher icon by executing the code above.

Screenshot_20200801_002

11 Likes

is asking me for the password when trying to install the code. where can I create that password?

that will be the password you use for Developer Mode.

If you havenā€™t yet set a password for Developer Mode, head to Settings/Developer tools, check ā€˜Remote connectionā€™ and enter a password of your choice into the box underneath.

1 Like

thanks for Edz . Done. But still I think that it should just be install when u open for the first time sailfish.

Iā€™m afraid what you might expect is rarely what you get with Sailfish, which is why it should still and probably always be considered as ā€˜unlikeā€™ any other OS.

Jolla absolutely loves FORM over FUNCTION, which as we know, simply doesnā€™t suit everyone, but hey, this is why we have Terminal and thatā€™s one of the major appeals to me personally, being able to change what you donā€™t like, which I do all the time.

3 Likes

In case of userdata navigate to userdata, peek and choose filemanager.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Since when is this feature there?
How inconsistent is this now in contrast to system data?
I would never ever expect any user (me included here! :slight_smile: ) to find this.

Okay, I correct my answer above and say: a rudimentary file browser for user data is there.
Nevertheless I do prefer harbour-file-browser-beta (and before that one filecase)

Youā€™re right. I found this feature by accident. I donā€™t know in which OS version.

I for myself use CargoDock and sometimes file browser (beta). I love the two windows filemanager and the possibility to intgrate cloud storage in CargoDock.