I have installed sailfish on Xperia 10 Plus bought just for it.
Some background, as I will probably spam this thread in next few months, 100% self hosted, from email server to next cloud,… so most of the issues are not presenting me a problem and I can debug problems at server side too… and I will probably spam this thread for next few months, but please dont take it as complaining - I am software developer for 25 years and I know that greenhorns sometimes encounter things every experienced user would miss.
I want to share some feedback:
- Installation manuals are just too windows oriented, I didnt have issues with them as I am flashing android since it exists but it might be confusing for someone coming from linux. Maybe it would be better to clone the page and create a separate page for linux, there is not much to change but would give a better initial feeling.
- Importing VCF files. The original wizards in People application doesnt work, after the vcf is selected (I had one with all the contacts packed into one vcf) it will shot something as "page doesnt exists or something). There is a relative simple workaround to use file browser and double click vcf which means you only have some trivial bug in dialog, but it spoils initial impression.
- Nextcloud, syncing is a bit strange, I still need to test what the reason is, but until rebooted syncing doesnt stop. After reboot all is fine, similar as next one:
- Creating email account with imap4 SSL, smtp TLS has some strange issues. It doesnt finish and starts throwing out timeout errors. I have verified it at dovecot/postfix logs, it doesnt even connect. Solution is to reset the phone at timeout page and it will sync just nicely after reboot.
- Browser… firefox… I consider it imperative to keep the add ins and allow their download. Without some sort of ad blocker (typically ublock), today web is pain to use. Please, for the sake of your users, provide at least fingerprint canvas and ublock either in initial install or allow it to be downloaded (still need to try to add xpi, maybe your fork accepts it). And congrats for keeping about:config.
- AOPK (i hope yo took /e/), there are some annoying sound spikes, i presume when application starts some sound.
- After reboot I am asked for unlock password twice (i would presume first time is to decrypt the data, second time ordinary unlock?)
- The power off soft button (hold hardware power button, the top “drawer” gets power button) is somehow unpredictable. It doesnt always go into poweroff but rather reboots the device (I would bet it did turnoff the phone at least once).
- (solved, tribute to sigurg): Where is terminal emulator???
- potential “off by one”, while settings running i had another program running and a few more. When I have selected settings from the “drawer”, it opened “another program” instead of settings.
- please remove freaking captcha from all the pages on jolla.zendesk.com, I am sick of tagging bikes, boats and hills, put it only on “post” page
- developer mode, ssh over wlan doesnt work (wlan entry with ip is darkened), I would presume the firewall is running and is not reconfigured when you enable remote connection. sshing to loopback works, so it is a firewall.
- getting back to home from settings is a bit of a maze, based on other functionality i would expect that swipe left should do it but you need to swipe up, and then swipe left.
- there is no “non shell” way to install a certificate (CA in my case) into sailfish browser (firefox will allow it by specifying path to it) or adding them into system certificate store. This part is typically vital for enterprise environment. I know that this is something not every user will need, but for me it is vital.
- first REALLY bad design encountered, sending MMS, sure it is nice to send image from the gallery but not being able to send the image from messaging application is a horrible idea. Actually user should not be even aware if the SMS or MMS is being sent, this should work seamlessly. (isImageAttached ? type=mms : type=sms;) I can see sailfish is more than capable of showing sent MMS in messaging application but it can only send SMS from there, I cant even imagine reason why this was done in such manner.
Those were some rough edges, but i will dig for more.
Anyway, initial impressions were fine, all the critical functions are working, the phone looks like stable, keep on doing good job. I hope I will be able to shift to the sailfish completely, but in any case, I am glad I have payed for sailfish, such a project needs founding.