Favourites Don't Always Work In People App

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.0.1.49
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…): XA2
UI LANGUAGE:English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

In the people App, if you mark a contact as a ‘Favourite’ by clicking on the star icon it should put that contact at the top of the list, along with the contact’s picture if there is one (otherwise just the name appears).

(1) For certain random contacts this feature does not work. Selecting a contact as a favourite ‘fills in’ the star icon but does not display the contact in the Favourite list. If you go back to the contact that you previously selected as a favourite you find that the star icon is no longer selected. Repeating the exercise results in the same result.

(2) Other contacts are able to be selected as favourites but the favourite status does not persist after you’ve closed the people app down again. After re-starting the people app the selected contact no longer appears in the favourite list.

(3) Other contacts can be selected as a favourite and this does persist after the app has been closed down.

All the contacts (those in (1), (2) and (3) above) are synchronised to the same Exchange account (they are not local contacts) and there appears to be no pattern as to why some contacts can be selected as favourites and some cannot.

PRECONDITIONS:

Contacts synchronised to an Exchange Account

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Open the People App
  2. Open a contact
  3. Select contact as favourite
  4. Close contact and go to favourites at the top of the contact list
  5. Contact does not appear as a favourite
  6. go back into contact - favourite status has been changed to ‘unset’

EXPECTED RESULT:

Contacts marked as ‘Favourite’ should appear at the top of the contacts list as favourites and should persist after the people app is closed.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Favourite status for a contact cannot be used and/or does not persist after the people app is closed down

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

This used to work reliably in SF3

2 Likes

Can confirm this also on XA2, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4

While we’re at the People app, let me take this opportunity to kindly ask Jolla to add small avatar thumbnails to the list of contacts and to the communications history. It really makes it much easier and quicker to spot contacts on such lists if even a small avatar thumbnail is shown. Like it was e.g. on Blackberry BB10 in its Contacts app. What sense do those avatars make if they’re hardly ever used besides contact card? Another useful place for such avatar thumbnails to be shown would be the Messages app - it would certainly help to quickly spot messages from specific senders.

1 Like

Going back to a few of my old and still unfixed bugs, I have done some more testing on this one and have found that tbose contacts marked as favourites and that then disappear as favourites as per the bug report above are those contacts that are synchronized with an external address book (e.g. On an Exchange server, etc). If the contact is purely local and stored on the phone, then its favourite status persists as it should. So the bug only affects synchronized contacts.

2 Likes

I can not reproduce this bug on 10ii with SFOS 4.3.
All Contacts I marked went to the top of the list as expected and stayed there over a restart of the app.
Also I tried contacts with special characters (äöü) in the name to check, if this has an effect.
My contacts are synchronized to a CardDAV Server, so I can not confirm your finding. Maybe it has something to do with the Exchange sync.

I think you may be right in that’s an issue with the Exchange synchronisation plugin. Perhaps Exchange doesn’t support contact favourites - either at all or in the same way.

How did you get carrdav sync working on SFOS? I am trying, having moved my contacts from Office365 Exchange to my Synology NAS server, but I can’t seem to find the right syntax to use in the SFOS account settings.

On SFOS it is also a bit of a weird combined caldav/carddav account. I’ve got it set up and working well for my calendars (also moved from Office 365 because SFOS wouldn’t sync them properly) on my synology NAS, but that means the server settings in the SFOS caldav/cardav account have the right port number for caldav, not carddav. and since there is only one entry for the server, it seems I can’t have both on the same SFOS ‘account’.

The setup for the CalDAV/CardDAV seems to be different for different servers. With the synology I can’t help. With my own setting it also took me half a day to find the right setup. The error messages in the gui are not really helpful.
I can remember that it was necessary to have separate account setups in an earlier SFOS. But with the actual 4.3 it works with only one.

I am running baikal on archlinuxarm. The server is only accessible from within my home network. On Sailfish my setup is:
Serveraddress: https:///baikal/html/dav.php
ignore SSL Errors: yes (I think this is necessary because I use a self signed certificate)
authenticate at setup: yes
autosync: no
contact and calender are both switched on
none of the optional paths is set
And username and pass code, but that’s obvious.

Ok, thanks, I’ll try a few variations on your server settings and see where I get to.

Are you syncing your contacts with your Exchange account?

No only over CalDAV / CardDAV

Maybe error messages could be improved here?