Fast scroll in list of open browser tabs blanks list

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.4.0.64
HARDWARE: Xperia 10 II - dual SIM
UI LANGUAGE: en
REGRESSION: yes (since browser re-design)

DESCRIPTION:

When having multiple tabs open, the fast scroll arrows can help reach the start or the end of tabs list. But when the user has a lot of tabs this action blanks the list and no tabs are longer visible.

PRECONDITIONS:

A lot (100+? - don’t judge me :grin:) of tabs open in the browser

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Go to open tabs list in browser
  2. Start scrolling to make the fast scroll arrows appear
  3. Tap one of the arrows to scroll to start/end of the list

EXPECTED RESULT:

The start/end of the list, with available tabs, is shown.

ACTUAL RESULT:

The list is blanked and no tabs are shown.

MODIFICATIONS:

Patchmanager with “Right side broken swipe patch” installed.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

If the user manually scrolls to the end of the list everything works as expected.

I don’t have any modifications, and I see the same thing from time to time. For me it doesn’t seem to depend on the number of tabs, I have a feeling it may rather have something to do with the zoom level on one of the tabs.
Btw if you scroll past the blackness (takes a while) the scrollbar and tabs will snap back to normal. (until the next fast scroll action)

Oh, I see. If I scroll back to where I started fast-scroll it snaps to the end where it was supposed to go with the fast scroll.

I’m pretty sure I don’t have any zoomed pages, so I don’t think zoom level triggers it for me. Maybe it depends on number of tabs or zoom level, or something else memory intense.

Because of frequent crashes of the browser (once a day, or more) I launched it from a terminal. When the described problem occurred I could read a lot of the following messages in the terminal:

[W] unknown:139 - file:///usr/share/sailfish-browser/pages/components/TabItem.qml:139:13: QML Image: Cannot open: file: ///home/nemo/.cache/org.sailfishos/browser/tab-534-thumb.jpg
[W] unknown:139 - file:///usr/share/sailfish-browser/pages/components/TabItem.qml:139:13: QML Image: Cannot open: file: ///home/nemo/.cache/org.sailfishos/browser/tab-376-thumb.jpg
[W] unknown:139 - file:///usr/share/sailfish-browser/pages/components/TabItem.qml:139:13: QML Image: Cannot open: file: ///home/nemo/.cache/org.sailfishos/browser/tab-373-thumb.jpg
[W] unknown:139 - file:///usr/share/sailfish-browser/pages/components/TabItem.qml:139:13: QML Image: Cannot open: file: ///home/nemo/.cache/org.sailfishos/browser/tab-403-thumb.jpg

I guess there’s an issue with tab image cache.

Thanks for reporting this @Mohjive. I’ve created an internal issue for it and tagged this as “tracked”.

For the errors on the console, are you able to check whether the files listed exist? And do you get the same errors when you “slow” scroll?

Note for future reference: @pherjung’s testing for the community meeting bug list showed that this is “Easily reproducible with 40 tabs”.

1 Like