Failed to start SailfishOS Build Engine macOS 11.1

Hi,

since the update to macOS 11.1 I am not able to start the SaiflishOS Build Engine. I already deleted everything (with a lot of issues be cause either the VM could not be started or not stopped) and reinstalled Virtual Box and the SDK. Here is the output from Qt Creator:

pkg-config is not available. Ensure it is installed and available from PATH
Error connecting to “Sailfish OS Build Engine” virtual machine: Failed to start virtual machine “Sailfish OS Build Engine”
Error connecting to “Sailfish OS Emulator 3.4.0.24” virtual machine: Failed to start virtual machine “Sailfish OS Emulator 3.4.0.24”

When I try to start the Build Engine through VirtualBox Manually I get this error:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

I assume it is an issue with the new macOS. When installing VirtualBox I was asked to add an exception in the security settings but I did not find anything.

Can anyone help me to get this sing solved so that I can work on my apps?

Thanks!

Have you tried reinstalling VirtualBox after macOS update?

Yes, I also installed VirtualBox again.

I took another look at the security setting in macOS. I found a note that VirtualBox needs special privileges. After granting these and rebooting the emulator startet but the SFOS image did not load. So I uninstalled Qt again with several warning that the Build Engine could not be started or stopped. When the uninstall was done I went the ~/Library/ and deleted everything that look like Sailfish.
After a new install, with several warnings, see below. I was able to start the build engine again. Everything seems to be slower now and the deployment to my phone took ages but I got it done. I did not get any debug messages in Creator since Creator did not realise that the deployment was finished but with the emulator debugging works for me.

When I start Creator I get a warning that

pkg-config is not available. Ensure it is installed and available from PATH

I tired to locate pkg-config. All I could find is a pkgconfig folder. Should I link to that folder?

Komponente Qt QmlLive Integration for Sailfish IDE wird installiert

Komponente Common Sailfish OS Emulator Integration Bits for Sailfish IDE wird installiert
Error: Device model was not found.

Komponente Sailfish OS Build Engine Integration for Sailfish IDE wird installiert
Generating keys…
Generating keys…

Komponente Sailfish OS Emulator Integration for Sailfish IDE wird installiert
VBoxManage: error: Code NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0x80070057) - Invalid argument value (extended info not available)
VBoxManage: error:
Context: “RemoveRedirect(Bstr(ValueUnion.psz).raw())” at line 1920 of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp

VBoxManage: error: Code NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0x80070057) - Invalid argument value (extended info not available)
VBoxManage: error: Context: “RemoveRedirect(Bstr(ValueUnion.psz).raw())” at line 1920 of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp

VBoxManage: error: Context: “RemoveRedirect(Bstr(ValueUnion.psz).raw())” at line 1920 of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp

Context: “RemoveRedirect(Bstr(ValueUnion.psz).raw())” at line 1920 of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp

VBoxManage
: error: Context: “RemoveRedirect(Bstr(ValueUnion.psz).raw())” at line 1920 of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp

0%…
10%…20%…30%…40%…50%…60%…70%…80%…90%…
100%

Snapshot taken. UUID: cf45a641-cdab-4bcc-9197-xxxxxxxx

Generating keys…
Generating keys…
Error: Emulator was not found.

Komponente SailfishOS-latest (3.4.0.24) wird installiert

Komponente SailfishOS-latest-armv7hl (3.4.0.24) wird installiert

Komponente SailfishOS-latest-i486 (3.4.0.24) wird installiert

Komponente Sailfish OS Build Target latest-i486 (3.4.0.24) Integration for Sailfish OS IDE wird installiert
Error: Id was not found.

Komponente Sailfish OS Build Target latest-armv7hl (3.4.0.24) Integration for Sailfish OS IDE wird installiert
Error: Id was not found.

Schreiben des Verwaltungswerkzeugs.

Installation abgeschlossen!

All the error messages in the pasted output are to be ignored. Unfortunately some of the tools invoked during installation lack a king of --force switch to make them quiet in some situations.

You can get pkg-config with brew install pkg-config. But again this is not related to your issue.

I would try connecting to the build engine with SSH and then from the build engine to the device to see if there is any issue with the connection. Check build engine options under Qt Creator for SSH connection properties. Similarly with emulator if the issue is there as well.

I also have issues installing the SFOS SDK on macOS, I am running macOS 11.3. I have selected the EA SDKs (did not select 64bit targets), but after a while, the installer gets into a crashing-loop of the headless VM:

When I dismiss the popup, it will re-appear after a few seconds, which leaves me unable to abort the installation process. I would have to force kill the installer.

When I open virtualbox (a fresh and new 6.1 installation), I can see that the build engine VM cycles between running, aborted and restarting. So something is wrong.
I am even unable to end/kill the VM in virtualbox, there is no option to delete the VM as it is constantly restarting. I’m not sure what I should do.

Anyone got this to work on macOS 11?

Hi,

I also had issues getting the update. Finally I removed it manually and then startet the Maintenance tool and said “Remove all”. Afte that done I did a fresh install and it worked again.