Failed Sailfish Flashing (Fastboot Device Not Detected)

REPRODUCIBILITY: 98%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 50.1.A.13.123
HARDWARE: Xperia XA2
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: First time installer

DESCRIPTION:

when running the flashing script in step 6.6 of the sailfish installation guide the following outcome occurs:

user:/filelocation/Sailfish_OS-Jolla-4.0.1.48-h4113-0.0.8.31$ sudo bash ./flash.sh
Detected Linux
Searching device to flash…
Found FAILED, baseband:FAILED, bootloader:FAILED
Found 0 devices:
Incorrect number of devices connected. Make sure there is exactly one device connect in fastboot mode.

PRECONDITIONS:

All steps prior to this are completed in the installation process the phone is unlocked. I checked using the following command

sudo fastboot devices
CQ3000D09R fastboot

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Running the same bash command

This is my first time flashing a phone and I’m new to linux. So I’m hoping I’m just making a rookie error. I’ve attached a screenshot which shows the folder with the Sailfish download and the terminal with the errors. Any assistance is would be greatly appreciated!

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Screenshot from 2021-05-07 22-15-20|690x310

Have you tried with a USB 2.0 device, as USB 3.0 is not supported, one can get a USB hub to connect and that should suffice.

2 Likes

Yes, most likely it is what @marxistvegan said.
It is a known issue with fastboot for USB3 with many phones.
Unfortunately there is no known fix, only workarounds.

If you don’t have easy access to USB2 ports to test, you can run some fastboot command like fastboot getvar product several times, and if it returns errors some/most of the time this is indeed your issue.

Not all USB3 controllers are affected, but it seems that many are.

2 Likes

I’m running too old computer myself to have USB3 so I don’t know how these things work, but is there an option in the BIOS to turn the USB3-ports into some kind of USB2 legacy-mode?

1 Like

Thank you for your reply and knowledge. I will try this method. My laptop only has USB 3.0 ports, so I will try with USB 2.0 with another computer, or I’ll get an USB 2.0 dongle and try that.

I’m not sure! but I’ll try connecting a USB 2.0 dongle and see if that works!

I’ll try that command and see if it returns errors. Thanks for your help!

I did some hacky stuff with my xz2 compact to resolve this error. I read out all variables with fastboot getvar all and took the serialnimber and set it manually in the flash.sh script. Then i commented out the check for the number of devices and then i commented out the hashcheck and it flashed