Enable dark theme

Are there any plans to enable dark theme on this site? It seems that the Discourse-platform should have dark theme bundled in by default.

34 Likes

Second this please, my eyes are burning

3 Likes

I would prefere ambience colors and background. But also dark would be an improvement.

3 Likes

Please let it also be automatic, like other sites!

Badly needed. On Firefox I can force dark theme, but on the crappy SFOS browser, not so easily.

Michael Use Webcat, Iā€™m sure it has a dark mode built into it; itā€™s also a better browser overall.

I think these are the instructions?

I canā€™t fint it under my settings, someone was able to?

1 Like

First: this setting is meant for site administration purpose/decision, not for the user to activate afaiu.
Second: SFOS does not have a ā€˜dark modeā€™.

And, yes WebCat has a dark mode and https://try.discourse.org works for WebCat as well as Fennec/Firefox in dark mode.
(whereas in case of WebCat you also need the QtWebKit libraries of leszek from his openrepos repository!

2 Likes

You can set your browser to display every site ā€œdarkā€ you can type as url about:config then search for color and make settings similar like these

browser_display_document_use should be set to 2 (always on)

or if you use Firefox from android you can download the dark reader extension and set the contrast to maximum

1 Like

But is this working automatically with 4.5.0.16 now for the forum?

I forgot where I read that, but some modifications are needed to provide a dark mode.

Go to settings/apps/browser/settings and choose preferred colour scheme at the bottom.

Bear in mind the dark mode should be supported by tge visiting site too

Anyone know what a Dark Mode Ambience would need to support this in the browser and in webcat? My Ambience has ā€˜ā€œcolorSchemeā€: ā€œlightondarkā€ā€™ but dark mode doesnā€™t work automatically on that discourse website.

you can go into about:config in the browser, then search for color and then make settings like these in the screenshot

the browser.display.document_color_use=2 is essential to activate your color settings

Sure, for a user that is a good setting.

But for a developer, if you want to offer the automatic dark mode. How do you set that in an Ambience?

Maybe it is possible to edit the settings files directly?