Email sort status reverts to "Time"

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): Any
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): Any
UI LANGUAGE: Irrelevant
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): No, this is a bug with a beard.

DESCRIPTION:

The sorting state reverts back to default time in the following scenarios:

• The email app is restarted (either from a phone reboot or closing/opening)
  • Opening an email from a notification and doing an edge-swipe to go back to overview

PRECONDITIONS:

None

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Sort the email by anything other than ‘Time’
  2. Wait for an email to come in and open from the notification
  3. Swipe back to overview

EXPECTED RESULT:

The sort state should be remembered

ACTUAL RESULT:

The sort state reverts back to ‘Time’

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

1 Like

This bug still exists in 4.3

No changes in 4.4, email client still doesn’t properly remember sorting state.

Additionally, sorting by state has the additional bug that it doesn’t update the order of messages when the status changes. So say I have three new emails, they are shown at the top of the list (as expected) and I read the top one and it gets updated to be marked “read”, then you’d expect it to move down the list to join the other read messages. The only way to get it to properly sort the messages again is to go to the sort by menu again and then check status again.

Thanks for the report @martijntje, and for testing it again with 4.4.0. I’ve created an internal but report about this and tagged it as “tracked”.

This issue seems to be half-fixed. Opening an email from the notification area and then swiping back to the overview the sorting order is preserved.

However, when the email app gets inevitable killed, e.g. when you start the browser (which always kills all other apps because the 10 II apparantly has not enough memory), and then restarted, the sort order still reverts back to “Time”.