Email: save attachment

Would be nice to be able to save an attachment instead of only being able to open it. For example, I often set out a hiking route on my laptop, then email myself a .gpx for opening on my phone. When I tap the .gpx attachment in the email app, I get the choice to open it, but only two applications are shown: notes and documents.

I want to save the .gpx so I can open it with pure maps. I now have to start the android k9 mail app to be able to save the attachment.

6 Likes

Open an e-mail, tap on the attachment icon or name above the mail, then it loads down and opens if possible. It is now downloaded. You can find the file in nemo/Downloads/mail_attachments/“some subdirectories with numbers”, using filebrowser. Images also appear in the Gallery under “Photos”.

1 Like

Thanks, that is a work-around of sorts indeed, and I am going to use that. My feature request still is valid though, a more user-friendly location may be preferred.

1 Like

Yes, absolutely valid.
This request is open since at least 2014, see e.g.
https://together.jolla.com/question/15480/e-mail-link-to-attachments-save-as/https://together.jolla.com/question/15480/e-mail-link-to-attachments-save-as/

Searching via file browser is tedious, so fire up terminal and do

find /home/nemo/Downloads/mail_attachments/ -name
start-of-attachment-name*

2 Likes

browser has a search field too

???

I am sure you meant file browser, right? :wink:
Yes, but it is not default delivery or part of SFOS. I was trying to give example how Jolla must think we have to access those downloaded files (and I like cli :wink: ).
Furthermore afaik file browser is not maintained anymore. So I can recommend using [strike]@ychthiosaurus[/strike] @ichthyosaurus file browser fork on openrepos!

1 Like

Unneccesarily the mail client creates some strange subdirectories for each mail and/or month or date. Removal of these subdirectories and only store all attachments direct in the mail attachment folder would imho be completely enough. Watching this mail attachment folder with some “filebrowser” sorting reverse by date (newest above, older down), would do the thing.

Cannot find @ychthiosaurus on Openrepos!

edit: found ichthyosaurus - 10/05/2020 - 20:57 - 10 comments
(little different spelling) … now going to test :slight_smile: edit: wow :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

(off topic: we’re in the process of moving maintainership and updating File Browser in Jolla store.)

4 Likes

but this is only for searching in the Internet.

And raising this up (again)!

With SFOS4 it got even worse.
I received a plain text file with suffix of .conf
On my 3.2.1 device it is opened via notes or documents which would (more or less) match.
But on 4.1 (4.0?) it is opened by default with oVPN settings applet!?
WTH? Just because of .conf??? There are a lot of .conf possibilities… just let us decide to open with any app or offer a ‘save as’, please!

(thinking about opening a bug report for this)

1 Like

If it’s not possible to save ANY file instead of executing it, then it IS a bug!

Checked it right now and tried to save a PDF attachment of one of my incoming mails… No way to do so!

I can only read the PDF with Document viewer, and there is also no way to save it to another directory.

BUT: I could find the file in: ~/Downloads/mail_attachments/14/7867-2/filename.pdf .

Not really user fliendly, but the file was saved and is available.

edit: I suggest to create a possibility to long-tap on the attachment of an incoming mail, then should open a dialog for saving it to some location and/or change the filename of the attachment. Long tap on an attachment does currently nothing.

2 Likes

In fact, that’s a feature. Files on Sailfish OS were never intended to be accessible like on a desktop system using a file browser. File handling is designed to be using a media index and dedicated apps for reading them plus the sharing engine to pass them around. Your definition of a bug does not apply for this approach

What @peterleinchen is describing sounds like a regression in the MIME type configuration, though

1 Like

OK @rozgwi , so please understand my comment more like a feature request than a bug report. It would really be nice to be able to simply download and save an attachment of an e-mail.
And I can confirm, that opening jpg, doc, pdf + mp3 files attached to mails works good. So no bug in the intended way of working with mails on SFOS.

2 Likes

@Seven.of.nine
It is also deeply disturbing to see your system interprete a file depending on its extension without giving you the opportunity to have a look at the file first.

2 Likes

I guess you meant it that way?

1 Like

Thx. :slight_smile:
(At least.twenty characters)

1 Like

It could be a workaround to create the “Downloads” and/or “android Downloads” folder as an account, just like a nextcloud folder. Email attachments could then be shared to this account (aka copied to the folder).
Currently not possible, but someone might be able to write a little app for it.

Hi guys,

I have the same request and I have an example to illustrate my request :

I’ve received a file by email called afs.log which is a text file (so can be visualized by vi …), but I cannot save it on my device because it is unsupported by the system …