Eduroam (WPA2 enterprise)

Has anybody managed to successfully connect to “eduroam” (international WiFi for educational institutions) using SFOS 4.2?

A long time ago, I was successful when using SFOS 3.0 and an application called “roamer”. Now I am using a “new” XA2 with SFOS 4.2 and was delighted to see that WPA2 enterprise has been implemented into the GUI. Alas, I have not been successful in actually connecting to “eduroam” at my university in Germany.

They use TTLS/PAP with a certificate from Telekom.

If you have successfully connected to eduroam, what are your settings? Which certificate did you choose? Was it a built-in one (i.e. one provided by SFOS)? How did you type in your username, just the name or did you add username@university.tld?

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Encryption: WPA-EAP(TTLS)
EAP method: TTLS
Inne authentication: PAP
CA Certificate: No verfication
Identity: your email address
Password: your password

I have successfully connected to eduroam. (almost) same settings as @atalochowski

WPA-EAP (PEAP)
PEAP
PEAP-version: auto
Inner auth: MSCHAPv2
CA Cert: no verification

anonymous identity: none

But mind: eduroam allows each University / Organization to use different authentication methods and different rules for usernames / pwds.
Also: it may happen that you are able to use eduroam at your local university, but have problems abroad, as the whole radius stuff may fail.

You can do it from terminal for exaple if you want

devel-su
vi /home/nemo/.local/share/system/privileged/connman/wifi_eduroam.config
paste it
[service_eduroam]
Type=wifi
Name=eduroam
EAP=ttls
CACertFile=/etc/ssl/certs/exampleCA.crt #path to your CA certificate (if you really need certificate)
Phase2=PAP
Identity=your email address
Passphrase=your password

Save file

for newer OS will be
vi /home/defaultuser/.local/share/system/privileged/connman/wifi_eduroam.config

atlochowski and gaelic, thank you both so much for your help! It took me a while, but eventually I got it up and running. I really appreciate your assistance! :pray:

According to the information provided by the university’s data centre, it was supposed to be TTLS and PAP only (which actually works on my laptop - Manjaro/NetworkManager). In fact, there was a stern warning not to try anything else because it would fail. So, TTLS/PAP is what I kept trying. When I didn’t provide a certificate, the connection would invariably fail with a “wrong password” error (the password was correct, of course). Though, when providing the same certificate as on the laptop, the connection would just hit a timeout.

At some point I more or less accidentally chose PEAP/MSCHAPv2, and lo and behold, it finally connected. Yay! :partying_face:

This may be a stupid question. Roamer is still around. Doesn’t it work anymore?
Since I do not work at the University anymore I didn’t use Eduroam for a year or so.

Good to hear. Often the ZID guys are just [censored] :wink:

I think main reason to create Roamer was innability to connect to Eduroam through SailfishOS GUI.
Now it is possible in SailfishOS GUI.

1 Like