Download older version of SailfishOS

Anyone got 3.1.0 or 3.0.1 ?
XA2 dual SIM (H4113, H4133)

I was thinking about thisā€¦ of course I canā€™t go back in time, but I have plenty of online storage and could probably hack some script that would check for new versions and download them to a public folder.

But how is the legality of it?

Also, is it possible to get at the images without logging in first, or log in programmatically, some API maybe?

If the complete image for each device/version is too much, would it make sense to keep only the hybris-*.img files for each?

If no-one else has what you want, I have Sailfish_OS-Jolla-3.0.1.14-h4413-0.0.7.14, which is for the XA2 Plus

Maybe just ask that on a CommunityMeeting? Should be an easy question to answer.

Well, these are public images, offered to anybody who wants them. I cannot see how any (commercial) harm is inflicted to Jolla by caching them unaltered.

Also, is it possible to get at the images without logging in first, ā€¦

Yes, there is only one kind of images, the (public) ā€œtrialā€ ones are identical to the ones offered when one is logged in.

ā€¦ with ā€œNoā€, but not naming a reason.
Come on, we all know that Jolla wants us to beta-test their products, originally SFOS, nowadays primarily AlienDalvik. They repeatedly stated that they will never offer older SFOS versions for download, because we all should always be using the most recent one. If one does not, one evaded the typical SFOS-user role as a beta-tester, which detrimental for Jollaā€™s product development.

Hence I would not ask, just do. If Jolla really sees a legal issue, they can always name it. But without having a specific issue pinpointed by them, one is free to assume there is none.

1 Like

I would love to be able to find somewhere SFOS for Nexus 4, which I still canā€™t force myself to throw away due to it being in pristine condition. Sadly, all links I could find were very old and broken. Does anyone happen to still have the Nexus 4 image and could share it?

Hi one user post it in the international telegram groupā€¦

You can find it when you search mako or something

1 Like

I donā€™t have a Telegram account, so I canā€™t see it. Could you please share the actual link? Thank you.

1 Like

This:?
https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris/Install_SailfishOS_for_mako

1 Like

Got a 10 III!!! Anybody have the 4.4 firmware? Thank you, want to try some things, 4.5 works okay too, but was curiousā€¦
PS: mark3 is sooo faster then 10 mrk1, thatā€™s the WAY to run SFOS :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately, the download link on that page has been broken for years (server not found).

I uploaded it here, the best working SFOS for Nexus 4 is the 2.0.5.6-gamma8.

1 Like

Thank you! So Iā€™ve downloaded 2.0.5.6-gamma8. What else is needed? Cyanogenmod 11?

I donā€™t remember which version, but according to mer wiki yes CM11 and TWRP Multirom + radio.img v0.97 (I added it to the link). Anyway you can expect, that after installation you may not be able to login to Jolla account = to the Jolla Store on the device and Iā€™m not sure about Open Repos, the old app Warehouse donā€™t show any app and Storeman maybe some old version? Probably not but I donā€™t remember if I tried to install Storeman on my Nexus 4. Otherwise it works fine, even with pirated AlienDalvik (Android 4.x).

1 Like

Thank you, so now Iā€™ve got all it takes! Iā€™ll give it a try later today. I really appreciate your help in getting all those files!

All download links on sailfishos.org seem to lead to shop.jolla.com, and no matter where I click there (free trial or buy) it asks me to login or register. Am I missing something?

This would make a big difference to me - if the files are publicly available I donā€™t see why I couldnā€™t mirror them.

Though in actual reality that doesnā€™t matter. I just feels better morally.

Because you still are required to be logged in to be able to download itā€¦

Unfortunately, you are not, as I found out when retracing your observation. This was different the last time I looked at this a few years ago.

Well, Jolla shows at all places they can that they are not at all an Open Source Software company, just a company which utilises Open Source Software. All regular Linux distributors (Canonical with Ubuntu, SuSE with OpenSuSE, RedHat with Fedora etc. etc.) offer their install images for free, public download without any registration woes.
Technically this is also completely unnecessary, because only when logged in to the JollaStore on a SailfishOS device, the proprietary components (AlienDalvik aka AAS, predictive keyboard, Exchange access support etc.) become installable and the SailfishOS GUI updater works.

This would make a big difference to me

Well much of the legalese stuff at the download page does not really fit to the free download, both technically and legally; a result of handling the free download as the paid ones, now. Nevertheless, Jollaā€™s intention is obvious not to allow for redistribution of the SailfishOS installation images.

Besides utilising a anonymous mail account for registration, one could use the existing infrastructure for offering torrent files, and use a GitHub account also registered with a(nother) anonymous mail account for posing merge requests with new torrent files: This way one could offer these files via bittorrent instead of https. IMHO this disguises the source sufficiently to make the efforts for trying to employ legal action too high to be worth it, especially as there is clearly no commercial interest and no financial harm to Jolla.

2 Likes