Display SFOS-Apps graphical on Linux Desktop?

There is a old post:
https://together.jolla.com/question/36877/how-do-you-run-an-x-application-remotely-or-locally/
But it does not works on SFOS anymore.
Is there a way to use X11Forwarding on SFOS?

Your topic sounds more like you are asking for remote desktop than a local X-server? Which is it?
There are some VNC servers floating around, they should be able to be made to workā€¦

The solution should be to start a graphical program via SSH.
The adjustment in

/etc/ssh/sshd_config

has been made and the ssh connection started with

ssh -X [User]@[Host]

However, the app is not displayed on the client/desktop_pc.

But which direction?
Desktop apps on Sailfish, or Sailfish apps on desktop?
Your header/topic and post contents read differently.
The solutions will likely be different.

Sailfish apps on Debian-Linux/Desktop.
Thanks!

In that case i think you are ā€œbarking up the wrong treeā€, and should look at VNC servers.

Wayfish? Maybe ask erfanoabdi on Waydroid Telegramā€¦

X forwarding via ssh is a Xorg feature, and as SailfishOS uses Wayland (& hopefully your Desktop, too :wink:) this wonā€™t work. Waypipe exists as a superior successor, but will probably not work either due to SFOS stone-age wayland shell versions or maybe QWayland even not supporting this properly. VNC maybe will work, as @attah suggested.

Waypipe Blogpost: GSOC 2019 - M. Stoeckl's website

4 Likes

Is there a solution on Linux Debian with Gnome 3.36.8?

Maybe screencast (from coderus) can help?
There is a newer version from nephros here - but it mirrors the whole screen not an app :innocent:.

I modified /etc/ssh/sshd_config.
The command ssh -X -v nemo@172.28.172.1 jolla-gallery gives me the following log:

ā€¦
debug1: Authentication succeeded (password).
Authenticated to 172.28.172.1 ([172.28.172.1]:22).
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug1: Requesting no-more-sessions@openssh.com
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: pledge: exec
debug1: client_input_global_request: rtype hostkeys-00@openssh.com want_reply 0
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug1: Sending environment.
debug1: Sending env LANG = de_DE.UTF-8
debug1: Sending command: jolla-gallery
debug1: Remote: No xauth program; cannot forward X11.
X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-signal reply 0
debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype eow@openssh.com reply 0
debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
Transferred: sent 2596, received 2220 bytes, in 0.1 seconds
Bytes per second: sent 18382.6, received 15720.1
debug1: Exit status -1

debug1: Remote: No xauth program; cannot forward X11.
How can I install xauth on SFOS? Cannot find the package with pkcon. - Thanks

I told you, it will not work in that direction.
If you disagree, post something more substantial on why it should.

Is Xwayland available for sfos?
Iā€™m that case X11-apps should work on both desktop and phone. Worked great on my N900.

1 Like

Agreed, but from what iā€™m reading; forwarding Wayland (Sailfish) apps to desktop over X-forwarding will not. And that seems to be what is being asked for here.

1 Like

Ok, thatā€™s apparently the case.
Iā€™ve been very happy with my N900 for years. With SFOS it seems that a lot of services and functions are no longer available. VOIP telephony is just another example here.
Itā€™s still interesting for developers to know why something doesnā€™t work. Is it because of the fact that no xauth is available in X-forwarding? My Gnome desktop would support Wayland.

Edit: XWayland is a solution?
https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=98882&page=31

Why do you believe XWayland is a solution?

It is X-on-Wayland, not Wayland-on-X.

You also seem to really want to make this a Sailfish problem/limitation, when it is just the nature of X and Wayland. Why is that?

If it really was only that, why is it you think nobody would have done it yet?

What are you trying to achieve with stapling rants like this to your post?
There is a well-reviewed SIP client on OpenRepos, but you probably donā€™t want to knowā€¦

If something is missing, consider contributing!
Open Source is the power of many, much like Wikipedia.

Edit:

Then maybe look in to Waypipeā€¦ no idea if it works, but it would at least have a chance.

1 Like

Despite of course it wouldnā€™t help much for running sailfish applications on (any) desktop it would still be nice to have xwayland on sfos in order to run x11 apps. I asked for that probably about 10 years ago but it wasnā€™t possible for some reason I forgot.

Maybe offtopic, but itā€™s not ā€œjust build Xwayland and run itā€. You need to write integrations to your compositor so that Xwayland is not in a unusable state. Wlroots created layer-shell for a reason, because the standard wayland xdg-shell is not really suitable for X which allows way too much. QtWayland afaik doesnā€™t even support XWayland. Maybe just stop your idea of ā€œrunning X11 appsā€ and get those things you need ported to Wayland, itā€™s way less effort than the other way around for sure.

Edit: N900 apps wonā€™t run with Xwayland support either.

Just curious what compositor is being used by your debian? I have one debian desktop (bullseye) which is using wayland (itā€™s a hand built kde, too) and my ā€˜devuanā€™ is still using X, and xfwm. But I donā€™t have ā€˜standardā€™ installs.