Display animated gifs in Gallery as, well, animated gifs

I finally implemented export to animated gif in Videoworks. I noticed that the gif animations produced only show as stills in the gallery.

If I open them File Browser, they are animated.

7 Likes

One more entry to all the small things that would improve the user experienceā€¦ Just stumbled over that missing feature some days ago.

1 Like

I for my part find this to be a great feature if stuff is not jumping at me when I open an app :slightly_smiling_face:
The less animated stuff the better, so should they ā€œfixā€ this I hope they at least provide an option to disable animated gifs.

One personā€™s feature is another persons regression. I would ask, why would you save animated gifs to your phone if you donā€™t want to see animated gifs? For me itā€™s irritating because I ā€˜composeā€™ these from series of imags in the gallery. So I canā€™t tell which is image and which is animation. I have to open another app or examine file names.

Maybe an idea, gifs saved to Pictures, treated as stills, animated gifs saved to Videos, treated as animated gifs. That should, surely, keep unwanted jumping out at ya behaviour?

3 Likes

I guess itā€™s even perfectly OK if the animation starts after you click on the individual gif (as itā€™s with videos).

The only thing I would really try to prevent is a gallery grid view that is constantly flashing and jumping just because one of the apps came preinstalled with tons of animated gifs that have been discovered by tracker in some obscure sub directory. :slight_smile:

Tracker is quite capable of finding stuff in the most unusual of places so itā€™s not always a conscious decision by the user on what ends up in the gallery on SFOS. :slight_smile:

That would be sufficient for me. Itā€™s a bit of an issue with pickers if your trying to work with, for instance, a series of animations. But I havenā€™t tested all the pickers yet (and i can override those in the case of my own apps).

Maybe, in the gallery thumbnail display, animated gifs could be indicated by a little icon in the bottom corner of the thumbnail. That way you wouldnā€™t have to click on each picture to find out if it is animated or not?

Iā€™ve seen this done before very effectively with the bottom right hand corner of the thumbnail ā€˜curling upā€™ and revealing another image underneath - therefore indicating that the picture consists of multiple images (i.e. animated).

2 Likes

Best use case to my mind would be seeing stills in Gallery grid/overview (an icon or simple text marker as gif would also be nice) and autoplay of the gif when viewing the picture itself (while swiping through the pictures or clicking the gif from gallery grid to open/enlarge it).

1 Like

I have a patch that implements this if you all want it. Itā€™s for SFOS 4.1, but itā€™s easily updated if thereā€™s interest. Let me know.

3 Likes

If this is a simple patch - couldnā€™t it easily be merged into the system?!?
Nevertheless Iā€™d be interested.

Interested! Please post ā€¦

I have several hundred SFOS patches and I usually apply them all togetherā€¦ That said, I believe the ImageViewer and ZoomableImage implement tap to animate gifs in the Gallery and other places ZoomableImage is used. ImageWallpaper implements animated gifs on the wallpaper / ambience.

Feel free to update to more recent SFOS versions. I will do this eventually. If anyone wants to package, go for it. Just include the github link.

4 Likes

Ah, sadly, any addition of an AnimatedImage to ImageViewer.qml causes a page load failure. I tried variations, but even adding an inactive AnimatedImage causes it to crash. this is 4.4.0.68 on a volla/gs290. Havenā€™t tried on xperia 10 yet ā€¦

Can you journalctl -xef from ssh on the device then open the gallery? This will log the problem. Post back the QML traceback and Iā€™ll do my best to figure it out.

I think I got it. The Zoomable patch also needs to be applied? I was trying to be ā€˜spartanā€™

Jun 22 17:32:10 VollaPhone jolla-gallery[18499]: [W] unknown:1283 - file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Silica/PageStack.qml:1283:13: QML AnimatedLoader: (file:///usr/share/jolla-gallery/pages/GalleryFullscreenPage.qml:60:5: Type FlickableImageView unavailable
              FlickableImageView {
               ^, file:///usr/share/jolla-gallery/pages/FlickableImageView.qml:128:5: Type GalleryOverlay unavailable
               GalleryOverlay {
               ^, file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Gallery/GalleryOverlay.qml:341:38: Type ImageEditDialog unavailable
             sourceComponent: ImageEditDialog {
             ^, file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Gallery/ImageEditDialog.qml:123:9: Type ImageEditPreview unavailable
             ImageEditPreview {
             ^, file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Gallery/private/ImageEditPreview.qml:97:5: Type ZoomableImage unavailable
             ZoomableImage {
             ^, file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Gallery/private/ZoomableImage.qml:53:16: Invalid property assignment: "sourceSize" is a read-only property
               largePhoto.sourceSize {
                                                                    ^)

EDIT, and sorry for the awful dump.

Did you apply the ZoomableImage patch? If yes, can you please post your /usr/lib64/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Gallery/private/ZoomableImage.qml?

With the ZoomableImage patch applied it woks! Thanks!

Excellent! Glad it worked out.

Iā€™ve just added a few of the optimized animated wallpapers Iā€™ve created to the repo. Would you mind testing the ImageWallpaper patch as well?

-HM

Applied the patch, chose an animated gif as wallpaper, restarted lipstick, no dice. The gif shows, but is not animated. Rebooting also makes not difference:

Missed something?
EDIT: journal is not helpful.