Device lock: With disable automatic locking no code required on device start

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100
BUILD ID: 3.3.0.16
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): XA2
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): No

DESCRIPTION:

The automatic locking setting for the device lock has unintuitive behaviour. When device lock is enabled, certain setting changes require the code, as well as unlocking the device upon boot and after a certain time of inactivity. With the automatic locking setting set to Not in use I assume this refers to the inactivity only, but it also disable the code prompt on upon boot.

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Activate device lock in settings.
  2. Set automatic locking to Not in use.

EXPECTED RESULT:

Device asks for device lock code upon boot.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Device does not ask for device lock code upon boot.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

2 Likes

Device asks for your security code during boot because of encryption.

1 Like

Oh dear :frowning:
And as if this not worse enough;
if you set ‘automatic unlocking’ to ‘not in use’ you also cannot lock the device manually via double-pressing the power button!

–edit
maybe this (OP) was one of the reasons I tweaked my settings to have 4h possibility?

3 Likes

The setting “Automatic locking” is related to locking up the touch screen (only) while the other parts of the device lock are not affected by this setting. Hence the value “Not in use” prevents the locking of the touch screen - also the double press of the Power key (nor the lock symbol at Top Menu) does not (seem to) lock up the screen with that option in effect.

I agree that the way how the Power key and the Top Menu work with “Not in use” may be a defect as the two are clearly manual actions. Hence the value of “automatic” locking should not affect them…

When “Not in use” is in effect, the rest of the device lock functions keep working. Hence, you will need to confirm the changes to allowing remote connections, enabling untrusted software and unlocking the encryption while restarting the phone.

The phrases used in Settings > Device lock are not clear (in my opinion). They do not really explain the distinction between the touch screen lock and the actual device lock. Jolla customer care has tried to explain the Device lock feature in this help article.

4 Likes

Hmm, makes sense what you say.
But I needed to read it twice/thrice and then that on zendesk :nerd_face:

That would need a re-design of the security tab of settings!

And I would guess a reboot is a sensitive action which should fall under the ‘standard’ device lock funtionality!

(furthermore, maybe I did not get it right but- the normal lock symbol from top menu should and does not cause device lock, only after the desired timeout, but double-power button should/does immediately)

2 Likes

Hi,
There is mention here of a device auto lock time of 4 hours. This is greater than available in the settings menu.
Any hints on what file needs to be updated to allow the longer than 60minute auto lock? I would like to set it to a long duration to allow manual locking when required, but not being auto locked very often.
I am aware that you can turn auto off, but then you cannot manually lock the device.
Thanks everyone.

Manually editing does not suffice, you have to use command line tool.

Check current value

/usr/lib/qt5/plugins/devicelock/encpartition --get-config-key /desktop/nemo/devicelock/automatic_locking

Select non-standard 4 hour delay

/usr/lib/qt5/plugins/devicelock/encpartition --set-config-key /desktop/nemo/devicelock/automatic_locking 240
(prompts for lock code)

Note that maximum value that can be used is 254, and any non-standard value causes settings ui to show “not in use”. Some more info can be found from old TJC article: Command line device lock - together.jolla.com

1 Like

Hi @spiiroin,
Thanks for the very thorough reply. This is perfect. I didn’t think of looking on TJC - I shall remember to check there too next time.
Thanks again,
Justin.