deGoogled OS system

Sure, if you run only Android apps on Sailfish, then you are not helping of course. But if you run mostly Sailfish apps, you are mostly helping.

3 Likes

I’m a bit curious why no one mentioned PureOS? That’s a debian if I’m not mistaken and does seem to be fairly mature and have a base that’s used for both laptops and phones (well, just the librem ones, I think?)

1 Like

Good point. I guess I just forgot about it after the Librem 5 desaster, but that’s not fair to the OS which is mostly Linux mobile FOSS.

Ah, not aware. What was the disaster? In any case, PureOs is very GNU so it’s going to be nearly impossible to run it on anything but, maybe, a Fairphone? Not sure about binary blobs in FP land.

1 Like

maemo.org - Talk - View Single Post - Purism Librem Phone and
maemo.org - Talk - View Single Post - Purism Librem Phone and most importantly
maemo.org - Talk - View Single Post - Purism Librem Phone referencing the trilogy

1 Like

I am amazed how out of touch I sometimes am: An Interview With Zlatan Todoric, Open-Source Developer & Former Purism CTO - Phoronix I’ve met Zlatan. Nice guy.

3 Likes

Google will probably always be evil. Be happy that OpenAI and M$ are giving them the first real challenge in 15 years. It’s just a shame it’s M$. They used to be far worse than Google but can’t get away with it so much any more.
It’s really American capitalism that’s evil. If any of these companies were based in the EU, they’d have their monopoly/duopoly taken away. Even Biden doesn’t touch them because their power hurts other countries more than the US. :money_mouth_face:

If you buy a Sailfish license, you’re helping keep Jolla alive. This is priority #1 and it’s something we can actually do.

Personally, I avoid Google apps. They’re known to phone home a lot.
I find WhatsApp unavoidable. My bank is app-based (Revolut). I use Android HDR camera apps because they’re better.
I don’t think any of that helps Google.

2 Likes

Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalene, what a shitshow!
It ties in very nicely with the article I posted, which is more technical.

Once you know all that, you start looking at those YT videos (my other links 2 posts up) with new eyes, and realise what an arsehole this guy really is, and just how bad the Librems are.

Well, I’m happy with my SFOS which is mostly FOSS, and works.

1 Like

Yeah, I just hadn’t been keeping an eye on it. I’ve been happy with SFOS since 2016, but I have wondered on occasion how to better make apps I work on more usable elsewhere. I do have a good example in the deploy I inherited from smurfy for Fahrplan. It’ll deploy almost anywhere :slight_smile: Just need to get at least an ubuntu touch device going again.

1 Like

It’s a joke right? I mean you don’t think Microsoft got better? The new CEO is just doing better marketing and that’s it.
Let’s start with GamePass:

They don’t make money with it for now, but guess why. Well the competition right now is only Sony but it’s getting worse because GamePass is cheaper! So they’re using again their position to kill the competition with money.
You think it will be different with ChatGPT?
Here:

Now guess what will happen. Think about this as a better search engine. Then Google is doomed and not only Google. Almost all other search engines! Who will win? Yes you already know the answer.

Not sure if you remember but I do the times when IE had 98% of the browser market - it were bad times!
Took a lot of effort mainly of Mozilla o get to the point were we were few years ago as now thanks to short-sightedness developers, were quickly getting to the same point, but now with Google.

Microsoft on the other hand is using the marketing. Visual Studio Code? Just check how many peoples think this product has open license, now check how many of them knows this apply only to the source code and not the binary app which has different license!

And oh, if you still think they’re good company now, it seems that you didn’t heard about this:

And here a bit more:
https://gabrielsieben.tech/2022/07/25/the-power-of-microsoft-pluton-2/

So please, don’t spread miss information about Microsoft not being evil anymore, as it’s a false claim. They did not change. They’re worse as now they’re smarter in hiding their true nature.

3 Likes

aha, now I understand your point. It is about money :grinning:
I already bought SFOS license, and I would like to keep supporting jolla. Don’t worry. And I will not buy any phone with google android. We were talking about apps, so your statements were confusing. Now, it is clear.
I agree that evil is coming from usa. Unfortunately EU behaves like colony, not like sovereign alliance. And currently actively working on self destruction.
There should be done many activities against this duopoly, but we cannot expect something like that from colony. Specially now, when is controlled by people out of reality.

2 Likes

not trying to be picky but if you’re willing to run SFOS with paid license, you’re somehow forced to do so :wink:

Umm. Nope. I have licensed devices without android support installed.

But, sfos, with or without lic. depends on android foo to talk to the hardware, so the point is moot.

Already used: Sailfish, Linage, /e/;

Sailfish is in my opinion the best. It is the most usable in terms of gesture and intuitive UI, has the most appearing design and is very clearly arranged.
Problem: You don’t get useful Devices, the native app-availability is far from great and you always have the chain of Aliendalvik for the use of android apps. The two last points are acceptable. But as my employer didn’t buy Sonys anymore (because of there lack in terms of durability and sustainability) and Jolla doesn’t really support other brands, my time with SFOS came to an harsh end as my last Sony felt into the toilet.

Linage and /e/ are pretty similar to each other. They mostly differ in the user experience in terms of the requirements to the user. Linage is more for nerdy users, at least you need to know what you want, you should know where to get it and it helps if you are willing to invest some time. Also Linage is - more complete as it has nearly the same state as the manufacturers Androids.
/e/ provides a more user friendly experience. The OS with its app store is more “from one mold”. We bought a Fairphone with /e/ for my mum - and she accepted and uses it - which is impressive as she always is reluctant with new technical stuff. The price for that is the lack of some settings options. /e/ is kind of still in development. Stable. But in progress. The launcher is pretty basic. You can’t change the color-layout and the apps store - while it has an interesting concept of melting different sources - often loses connection. After all, a promising system, with the small challenge to find results / solutions in search engines because of the uncommon symbols in its name.^^

After all, SFOS is my favorite. Unfortunately there are very limited options to run it.

2 Likes

What I understood Lineage doesn’t much care about privacy. And it is still using google mobile services. So it means sending data to google. This is the big difference between lineage and /e/OS. Correct me somebody if I am wrong

1 Like

LineageOS is - unlike SFOS - completely open sourced. Gapps are proprietary, but you don’t need to install them. But you know, whenever you access some website, your data is being sent to Google. Search for “googerteller”. If you want to avoid being tracked, then use torbrowser on an OS that runs purely in ram and where no data is saved to disk. The difference between using AOSP and SFOS is at best like the difference between being <beep> hard in your posterior and being <beep> even harder and I’m not sure LineageOS is the latter.

Agree

there are much more. Just yesterday I couldn’t just get the mms, had to try several times. When I finally got it I couldn’t reply. Only phone reboot helped. But there are more of this kind of issues. So as a daily driver it’s a no go.

1 Like

This looks useful and practically made for the OP. Can we get it working on SF perhaps with a UI?

Many web pages have Google trackers in them anyway. I know Opera desktop blocks them. Not sure if the Android app does and I strongly doubt the SF/Gecko browser does.

I don’t know about the Sailfish Browser, but this has nothing to do with Gecko. If you use the Android Firefox-app for example, (which also uses Gecko) the trackers should also get blocked.

Opera btw. is just another Google Chrome clone (at leas as far as I know)

1 Like

Open is good, but it just means we have a chance to check how the sausage is made. It’s no inherent guarantee against bad ingredients in the recipe.

Which is a different issue than the OS itself. Some browsers/plugins let you excercise more control over data collection; operating systems not so much.

Based on measurements made by a community member:

…and the research of Douglas Leith & al at the Trinity College in Dublin, I’d prefer SailfishOS over Lineage any day. From their October 2021 report:

We find that the Samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei and Realme
Android variants all transmit a substantial volume of data
to the OS developer (i.e. Samsung etc) and to third-party
parties <…> (including Google, Microsoft, Heytap, LinkedIn,
Facebook).
LineageOS sends similar volumes of data to Google
as these proprietary Android variants, but we do not
observe the LineageOS developers themselves collecting
data <…>
Notably, /e/OS sends no information to Google or other
third parties and sends essentially no information to the
/e/OS developers.