Defender app update (harbour-defender) - my very own ‘Sailfish Devember’

As per my understanding YouTube ads cannot be blocked with lists. But what you can do is download Firefox and install uBlock and I have never seen any ads again.

1 Like

You are right, this is indeed the case. The thing is, I’m trying to use Android apps only when necessary.
Hopefully, Jolla Browser will support Firefox extensions one day.
I’m really satisfied with SFOS in general, I only miss small things here and there.

@peterleinchen I saw the notification about an update yesterday and installed immediately after. I still had to leave the device updating over night but it did finish this time. So I have 1284000 sources and I’m content. Thank you.
Nevertheless, I still have my suggestions but you’ve disabled issues in github. What’s the preferred way for you to receive reports?

@peterleinchen Not sure why, but I can’t see the new oisd host source in the latest version 0.5.7 (it’s in the source code in github).

I tried with one source (the main goodbye ads), first update goes very quickly (a few seconds) for > 100 000 blocked resources. It’s the update python script merging multiple sources that is so so slow.

Seems like latest update broke Android-Support (X10ii, 4.3) :disappointed: Android-Support doesn’t start anymore, i tried to 1. downgrade and 2. deinstall defender and 3 reinstalled Android-Support, doesn’t help.

1 Like

After updating to the last version of Defender, AlienDalvik doesn’t boot anymore by being stuck in a state where I cannot stop/start it from the settings even after a reboot.
It’s probably related to the last change to mount /etc/hosts inside lxc?
I’m using an Xperia 10 ii on sailfish 4.3.

1 Like

Same here! Xperia 10 ii SFOS 4.3, Defender 0.5.7.

Sorry to hear this. :frowning:

And tbh cannot understand why such thing could happen!

As I do not have a 64bit device I could not test it. Will revoke that package (and better the i486 as well) for now from openrepos until clarified…

Would someone please check journalctl
and also

systemctl status -l aliendalvik

systemctl status -l harbour-defender*

And check

cat /var/lib/lxc/aliendalvik/extra_config

or in case (idk)

ls -la /var/lib64/lxc/
cat /var/lib64/lxc/*

Best guess for a quick solution:

devel-su
mv /var/lib/lxc/aliendalvik/extra_config ~/
systemctl restart aliendalvik

It is indeed extra_config that prevents Aliendalvik from starting.
The file looks as follows:

lxc.mount.entry = /system/etc/hosts system/etc/hosts none,bind,ro 0 0

After removing it, Aliendalvik starts as usual.

Here is some output from journalctl (however, it doesn’t seem to be related to this issue):

Nov 17 12:36:08 Xperia-10ii systemd[1711]: aliendalvik.service: Executable /usr/bin/start-aliendalvik-preinit.sh missing, skipping: No such file or directory
-- Subject: Process /usr/bin/start-aliendalvik-preinit.sh could not be executed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
-- 
-- The process /usr/bin/start-aliendalvik-preinit.sh could not be executed and failed.
-- 
-- The error number returned by this process is 2.
Nov 17 12:36:08 Xperia-10ii systemd[1712]: aliendalvik.service: Executable /usr/sbin/start-aliendalvik-preinit.sh missing, skipping: No such file or directory
-- Subject: Process /usr/sbin/start-aliendalvik-preinit.sh could not be executed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
-- 
-- The process /usr/sbin/start-aliendalvik-preinit.sh could not be executed and failed.
-- 
-- The error number returned by this process is 2.
2 Likes

Looking at other entries in bsp_config, shouldn’t the extra_config file look as follows:

lxc.mount.entry = /system/etc/hosts system/etc/hosts none bind,ro 0 0

instead of

lxc.mount.entry = /system/etc/hosts system/etc/hosts none,bind,ro 0 0
3 Likes

Oh no! :hide: :duck: :cover:

Thanks for investigating. Of course that cannot work!

Would you please edit this file “/var/lib/lxc/aliendalvik/extra_config” to

lxc.mount.entry = /system/etc/hosts system/etc/hosts none bind,ro 0 0

(mind the space between none and bind)
and put it back in place?
And restart Android Support once more.

This should be the cause.

P.S.: there is no /var/lib64 folder or more specific /var/lib64/lxc/aliendalvik?

1 Like

Yes, was writing answer above…

Already did that, and can confirm it works. And there is no /var/lib64 folder on my device (Xperia 10 ii).

1 Like

Thank you!

New packages to come …
(but not right now :frowning: but soon™ :slight_smile: )

–edit
And new RPMs are out (by courtesy of @orangecat, big thank you)

3 Likes

@peterleinchen I have several suggestions for the new release, would you like to hear them?

It seems I’ve messed something up and now I can’t block ads anymore (even though the list loaded successfully). Could someone help me out, please?

Edit: I fixed it in the end