Default audio player does not show covers (some of them)

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100% (always)
OSVERSION: 4.5.0.18
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia XA2 - h3113 - h3113 - 1.0.0.11 - armv7hl
UI LANGUAGE: Italiano (user: it_IT, os: it_IT.utf8)
REGRESSION: no

DESCRIPTION:

The media player is not showing covers from albums despite the cover being embedded or as jpg file

PRECONDITIONS:

have some music, in various formats and various cover art types

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Load some albums into the memory
  2. Open the jolla media player
  3. See part of the cover are not displayed

EXPECTED RESULTS:

To show all the covers

ACTUAL RESULTS:

Most embedded covers are not shown, especcially ones from flac and ogg files, and will 100% not show in the album list if there is more than an artist on the album

by the way, this is not a regression, it just never worked, from day one…

MODIFICATIONS:

• Patchmanager: no
  • OpenRepos: yes
  • Chum: yes
  • Other: none specified

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I thought default media player would not display embedded cover art, which in fact are mostly missing, but i have some flac albums that have embedded art and it’s showing. Seems anyway to ignore ogg cover art and flac mostly. I’ll attach an example anyway…

Device Owner User: defaultuser
Home Encryption: enabled

the initial version of this bug report was created using Bugger 0.9.9+git3
![Schermata_20230308_001|281x500](upload://6nWtwYEuXmq5G0efrrpdSPQG2Ki.jpeg)

This bug is indeed very old! I see this happen for every album in which the songs are from various artists. If every song has exactly the same artists name, cover art works.
Possible reasons and solutions have been discussed here:

I know, but i thought to post it again, to remind it to jolla

Anyway thank you for the link, will have a look

Tried to apply the patch but the player wouldn’t start after

Did you apply the patch succesfully?

No, i didn’t try, i just wanted to link the old discussion about the problem to provide information. Sorry if i led you to a wrong trace!

I didn’t have immediately available ogg files with embedded cover art and created some myself with ffmpeg. And ending up those files detected as video files.

To rule that case out, if you have some files that fail to get the embedded cover art, could try running
/usr/libexec/tracker-extract-3 -f the_file.ogg

and check the output. If it’s about video, it’s likely hitting tracker-miners / tracker-extract-libav.c which wants the video disposition to be attached pic in order to count as audio file. Didn’t so far manage to create such an ogg file myself.

Thanks to a test file from @247 I was able to add the missing cover art readin from ogg files too.

Maybe a bit of history here too: earlier tracker was fetching the album art, by itself and using libmediaart which basically looks for the file directory making some guesses what could be cover art for the music.

On Tracker3 update that functionality was removed from there. At that point we (or me really) created custom album art handling in mediaplayer app. Using first libmediaart to check the directories and if that fails then diving into the files with taglib library. It’s had support for mp3 and flac, but missing ogg so far.

5 Likes

Flac was mentioned. If there are some specific files having embedded cover image that don’t work I’d be interested in them.

4 Likes

I’ll see in my collection, surely i have some other user cases

Edit: think i saw them at some point but right now can’t find any, so i guess flac are ok now

One thing i noticed is that, albums with a feat have no cover at all when in album list, but i’m assuming this will be fixed (or better, hidden) with the use of the albumartist tag

Want me to send you an example?

Yea, the “feat. NN” case should get fixed by grouping, I think. No need for those examples right now.