Debugging broken SailfishEase keyboard since 4.2.0

After update to Verla 4.2.0, I noticed that SailfishEase no longer works: when the UI is expected to show the keyboard UI element, nothing is shown. To be able to use keyboard, I have to go to text input settings and disable SailfishEase keyboard there.

I wonder what has changed since 4.2.0 which made the keyboard no longer operational.

I checked the rpm package with the keyboard and see that it’s implemented as a plugin to maliit keyboard framework, in few qml files:

# rpm -ql sailfish-ease-vkb
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/sailfish-ease-vkb.png
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/layouts/ease_by_latin.qml
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/layouts/ease_de.qml
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/layouts/ease_en.qml
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/layouts/ease_es.qml
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/layouts/ease_it.qml
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/layouts/ease_nl.qml
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/layouts/ease_noNN.qml
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/layouts/ease_pl.qml
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/layouts/ease_zh_cn_pinyin.qml
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/layouts/layouts_ease.conf
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/sailfish-ease-vkb
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/sailfish-ease-vkb/CharacterEaseKey.qml
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/sailfish-ease-vkb/EaseBase.qml
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/sailfish-ease-vkb/KeyboardEaseLayout.qml
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/sailfish-ease-vkb/KeyboardEaseRow.qml
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/sailfish-ease-vkb/ShiftEaseKey.qml
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/sailfish-ease-vkb/SpacebarEaseRow.qml
/usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/sailfish-ease-vkb/SpecialEaseKey.qml

Any suggestion how to check logs or debug the problem further?

Update: I was able to see few (hopefully) useful details in a system log, see bellow.

I enabled the keyboard again, and then I was looking at system log via journalctl -f while trying to use the standard keyboard via notes app:

Sep 19 20:34:05 Sailfish invoker[3298]: WARNING: requestActivate() called for  QQuickView(0x34ce40)  which has Qt::WindowDoesNotAcceptFocus set.
Sep 19 20:34:05 Sailfish invoker[3298]: WARNING: file:///usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/sailfish-ease-vkb/KeyboardEaseLayout.qml:489:5: QML Connections: Cannot assign to non-existent property "onTransitionRunningChanged"
Sep 19 20:34:05 Sailfish invoker[3298]: WARNING: file:///usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/sailfish-ease-vkb/KeyboardEaseLayout.qml:477:5: QML Connections: Cannot assign to non-existent property "onGestureInProgressChanged"
Sep 19 20:34:05 Sailfish invoker[3298]: INFO: Conponents research executed
Sep 19 20:34:05 Sailfish invoker[3298]: WARNING: file:///usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/sailfish-ease-vkb/KeyboardEaseLayout.qml:490: ReferenceError: layoutRow is not defined
Sep 19 20:34:05 Sailfish invoker[3298]: WARNING: file:///usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/sailfish-ease-vkb/KeyboardEaseLayout.qml:515:15: Unable to assign [undefined] to bool

Then when I tried to activate the keyboard (reproducing the bug):

Sep 19 20:40:00 Sailfish invoker[3298]: WARNING: file:///usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/KeyboardBase.qml:137: TypeError: Cannot assign to read-only property "isShifted"
Sep 19 20:40:00 Sailfish invoker[3298]: WARNING: Xt9: not supported language ""
Sep 19 20:40:00 Sailfish invoker[3298]: WARNING: file:///usr/lib/maliit/plugins/jolla-keyboard.qml:478: Error: Cannot assign [undefined] to QQuickItem*

And then every time I reproduce it again, I see these lines in the log:

Sep 19 20:43:38 Sailfish invoker[3298]: WARNING: requestActivate() called for  QQuickView(0x34ce40)  which has Qt::WindowDoesNotAcceptFocus set.
Sep 19 20:43:38 Sailfish invoker[3298]: WARNING: file:///usr/lib/maliit/plugins/jolla-keyboard.qml:645:9: QML ScriptAction: file:///usr/lib/maliit/plugins/jolla-keyboard.qml:478: Error: Cannot assign [undefined] to QQuickItem*
Sep 19 20:43:38 Sailfish invoker[3298]:                     inputHandler = keyboard.layout ? keyboard.layout.handler : basicInputHandler

I’m still not sure if this is just compatibility issue caused by sheer update of some Qt components, or a consequence of some sailfish feature changes introduced in 4.2.0. Let me know if you have any suggestion what to check.

1 Like

I also noticed there is an issue reported about the problem in upstream: https://github.com/foolsbazar/sailfish-ease-vkb/issues/3

Does anyone have any direction at all, for this? I kinda need this, but I have no clue what doesnt work, here

1 Like

It actually works, but you need to install it manually and copy and paste don’t work, really hope someone will fix it one day…