Contacts with labelled phone no do not show up in HFP device (car kit)

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100% (always)
OSVERSION: 4.4.0.64
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia 10 III - xqbt52 - xqbt52 - 1.0.0.134 - aarch64
UI LANGUAGE: English (UK) (user: en_GB, os: en_GB.utf8)
REGRESSION: no

DESCRIPTION:

Car Kit imports contacts when connected via BT.

However when trying to find a contact on the car kit interface, not all contacts are available.

PRECONDITIONS:

Car is VW Caddy 2021, Europe
SW Version 1788
ABT SW Version 2092

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Have a contact with 2+ phone numbers
  2. Label one e.g. Mobile / Work, the other Mobile / Personal
  3. Connect to car kit via Bluetooth
  4. List contacts on car kit
  5. Contact from above does not show
  6. On phone, edit contact, set Label from Personal to None
  7. Disconnect and Reconnect car kit ( or use manual import contacts function of car kit)
  8. Contact does show up (one number

EXPECTED RESULTS:

All contacts with phone numbers accessible

ACTUAL RESULTS:

Labelling a contact should not make access via BT not work.

Note that re-adding the label makes the contact disappear again, so it can be pinpointed to this.

MODIFICATIONS:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

In ‘recent calls’ list, calls from affected contact show up as unknown number.

Address information is accessible in car kit Map app, so some details of contact are shared.

The same issue can be observed with other devices which access the phone book, such as HFP devices or ‘bluetooth diallers’.
Device Owner User: nemo
Home Encryption: enabled

the initial version of this bug report was created using Bugger 0.9.8+git1

I cannot reproduce this behaviour with X10III, SFOS 4.4.0.68 facing a 2012 BMW F11: contacts, recent calls load fine; phone entries, contact avatar, etc display fine.
The phone type & label values are read and used to select the icon of the entry in the car software.

1 Like

Interesting.

So either it’s .64 vs .68 or the problem is on the receiving end.

But as I said I see it on other BT devices reading contacts from SFOS as well, so maybe it’s something non standard or ill-defined that some PBAP implementations get wrong (and BMW happens to get right)?

One suspicion would be the differing possibility of setting TEL:TYPE= in the vcard payload:

TEL;TYPE="cell,work":01234
vs.
TEL;TYPE="cell";TYPE="work":01234
vs.
TEL;CELL;WORK:01234

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6350#section-6.1.4

1 Like

Thanks for the report @nephros. I’ve made an internal record of this and tagged it as “tracked”. However this is likely to be a tricky one to follow up if it’s specific to the VW cars, say. Let’s see. If there is any further info to share on it, I’ll do my best to post it here.

1 Like

Can’t reproduce, either. Other than inability to pair via the UI due to no PIN request showing up (it took doing it manually via terminal using bluetoothctl) there are no problems with syncing and showing the contacts and recent calls history. Maybe with one exception - Polish characters in names are not shown (and probably not present at all in the car kit’s software).

The car kits are very old so called KML (Kit Mains Libres) units used in Ctiroens and Peugeots until 2011-2012 or so (then replaced with so called “Nomade” units), some with firmware updates from later years. Profiles supported by the kit are HFP, HSP, SYNC, PBAP.

I haven’t noticed any impact of using labels on visibility of contacts in the car kit. Tested with both the 10 III and XA2U running 4.4.0.68.

1 Like

Does anyone know a working PBAP client for Linux I can test things with?