Compass seems not to work on XA2 Ultra

REPRODUCIBILITY (100%):
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (3.4.0.24):
HARDWARE (XA2 Ultra Dual Sim):
UI LANGUAGE: English (US)
REGRESSION: Don’t know.

DESCRIPTION:
The compass in OrienteeringCompass and in SatStat (via F-Droid) points into a more or less constant wrong direction. Calibration in OrienteeringCompass goes up to 33%, but drops back to zero almost immediately. Calibration does not improve the accuracy of the compass.

PRECONDITIONS:
Recent install on XA2 Ultra. I did not try the compass with the stock Android before flashing sailfish.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Install OrienteeringCompass
  2. Try calibration
  3. Compare direction indicated by the application to the correct one.

EXPECTED RESULT:

The compass should indicate the correct direction.

ACTUAL RESULT:

The compass points into some random direction.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

None

2 Likes

Just came across this:
https://together.jolla.com/question/211542/sony-xperia-xa2-magnetic-compass/

This does not look good. Is there any hope to fix the compass? How are the navigation apps affected?

Just a short update. All of a sudden, compass calibration remains constant at 33%. Rotating the phone rotates the compass needle correctly, but the direction is about 90 degree off.

Do you happen to have your XA2 in some kind of protective case? On my XA2 the compass behaves pretty much like you described when the device is in a case, but when I take it out it starts working normally.

Hello,
No problem with my XA2 plus Dual Sim. Compass works fine.

Thanks a lot for your responses.
The phone has no case, and I made sure that there are no metallic objects nearby that could have an impact on the field. The direction is 90 degrees off, and calibration went up from 33% to 67% all of a sudden.
Is there a way to reset the calibration? Does resetting the device help? Or do I have to reflash?

You can just enter CSD tool and run the individual test of the compass, this starts recalibration.

However recalibration doesn’t last long on my XA2+, well I have a magnetic usb connector in the phone that excuses anything with the compass.

Thanks for pointing me at the CSD tool. I tried recalibration a few times, and it keeps failing. Does this indicate a hardware error?