Community meeting on IRC 24th June 2021

After this meeting we’ll have a holiday break during July.

Schedule: Thursday 24th June 2021 at 07:00am UTC (Check here for your local time)

Topic proposals for the meeting:

• add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • indicate how much time you will need for the topic so we can time-box the meeting accordingly
  • please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic
  • if you can’t make the meeting please ask and then name a substitute who can in your place.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn’t clear enough it will be postponed. Also: Always ask for more time than you anticipate your topics needs!

Please try and have your topics ready at least 3 days before the meeting. This will help us have answers ready beforehand to save time. Topics announced afterwards will be postponed to the next meeting.

Template for topic proposal: (post your topic proposals as comments to this forum topic)

• Name / IRC nick:
  • topic:
  • some details about the topic:
  • approx. time needed:
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute)

Name / IRC nick: Dakon
topic: recovery of broken Jolla1
some details about the topic: as described in Jolla1 does not start anymore my J1 recently broke. Over USB the device shows up as modem after a while, recovery mode does not help. Jolla support said “ask community for help”, but to my knowledge no public information is available on how to go on from this stage. Given that the device is out of warranty and (commercially) useless, I would welcome if some more information on low level access to the device could be made available, e.g. how to access the low level bootloader, maybe dump the flash. Also things like “these are the wires you could connect $magic_device to read the low level flash” or something like that would be appreciated. Target audience: experienced developers, i.e. people that know how to operate a terminal, dd and the like and how to operate a TTL serial converter
approx. time needed: 10 minutes
optional: if I don’t make it just answer the topic anyway, I’ll read up the logs

This channel doesn’t work as like it did before anymore, does it?

Cloudflare returns: Error 522

Yeah web chat is broken, too.

Thanks @oroesler and @poetaster, I’ve now fixed the links following Sailfish OS IRC channels moved to oftc.net

2 Likes

Thanks! oftc.net it is!

Name / IRC nick: ddobrev
topic: Bluetooth support in Android
some details about the topic: I keep searching for a solution to no avail so I’m forced to bring it up once more and this time I would like to have more definitive answers, please.
approx. time needed: 30 minutes

Name / IRC nick: ddobrev
topic: Dual-booting with Android, Xperia 10 dual SIM in particular
some details about the topic: Getting Bluetooth support in Android would be possible with dual booting. Let’s discuss the options, if any, for new Xperia devices such as 10 and forward.
approx. time needed: 30 minutes

Thank you Jolla for your not-answer. Thank you @sledges for trying to be indeed helpful by digging out some public available information, which was sadly mostly already known. The unbrick thing looks indeed promising, luckily I have a working J1 also so I can hopefully get the needed boot files.

What I can’t understand why not even a list of the connectors as seen in the older forensics article and their basic usage is provided. This stuff must be available, and can’t contain any information worth an NDA with a third party.

Please be careful by flashing arbitrary partitions from one device to another. Some of them contain sensitive calibration data. If you are not able to enter fastboot mode, most likely the errors are in low-level bootloader (sbl IIRC) or partitioning itself.

I believe Jolla might still be NDA-bound with the ODM, this would explain why any particulars that are specific to this exact PCB aren’t public.

Minutes: #sailfishos-meeting: Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 24th June 2021
Minutes (text): https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2021/sailfishos-meeting.2021-06-24-07.00.txt
Log: #sailfishos-meeting log

Thanks for the warnings. My attempt would be to try to extract the flash storage. And telling which of the test pins on the PCB are which connectors, and which software and mode is needed to use them can’t be any copyrightable information.

Should the irc message about the next upcoming meeting be updated?