Community meeting on IRC 17th Sept 2020

Schedule: Thursday 17th Sept 2020 at 07:00 UTC (Check here for your local time)

Topic proposals for the meeting:

• add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • indicate how much time you will need for the topic so we can timebox the meeting accordingly
  • please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic
  • if you can’t make the meeting please ask and then name a substitute who can in your place.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here on TJC or on the mailing list and get responses that way.
We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn’t clear enough it will be postponed. Also: Always ask for more time than you anticipate your topics needs!!
Please try and have your topics ready by at least 3 days before the meeting. This will help us have answers ready beforehand to save time. Topics announced afterwards will be postponed to the next meeting.

Template for topic proposal: (post your topic proposals as comments to this forum topic)

• Name / IRC nick:
  • topic:
  • some details about the topic:
  • approx time needed:
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute!)
3 Likes
  • Name / IRC nick: ApBBB
  • topic: Separation or more freedom to the community for parts of the OS that are not relevant to the commercial clients.
  • some details about the topic: Its kind of a weird topic since its not much of a question but more of a discussion around how to make the community work better with Jolla. The idea comes from a comment by @pmelas . Parts of the OS are probably (??) not that important to the commercial side of things. Has jolla thought of separating (or maybe opening) those parts -apps mainly- from the parts that commercial clients care about so that the community can (potentially) improve them??? Or for more freedom in the store since in a commercial environment/work phone a user will be limited to what the company decides.
  • approx time needed: 15-20 mins
  • optional: I’ll probably be there but if not just answer the question. Maybe some others would like to talk around this.
3 Likes

Need to change the date from 3rd Sept to 17th Sept due to a collision with company wide planning days.

• Name / IRC nick: flypig
  • topic: “E2E testing in Sailfish” brief followup
  • some details about the topic: Last meeting @Sefriol asked about end-to-end testing of SFOS components. This will be a very brief follow-up to that question, since I promised to do so. Here’s the discussion from the last meeting for reference.
  • approx time needed: 5 mins
  • optional: please skip if I don’t manage to make it.
1 Like

Hopefully you found something since I did not clone the repo before it went inaccessible. :wink:

For those who didn’t :wink: the authors kindly uploaded the code to github, apparently with some newer changes.

1 Like

First i want to apologize for missing my question. I thought we were having the meeting at the normal time and missed the time change completely. When i logged in we were already past it. My fault completely.

I read through the log and info part and want to expand on it. The commercial clients of jolla are people that will use the phone in a certain way (read limited to their needs). And obviously those who will control the phone -company/administrators- will decide what is allowed and what not on it. Ie i don’t expect a phone used by a post office to want people have games on it or a twitter app or other stuff found in the store. So the idea was that since those (whatever those are) parts are not that important to the clients maybe jolla could loosen the rules around them or open them in order for the community to improve them. Ie the store is kind of dead(ish) and openrepos i thriving because of less restrictions.
It was more or less a question about restrictions and opening more parts that are not important to your clients. If jolla discussed stuff like that internally.

Anyway. Missed my chance.

2 Likes

If we talked about different things to what you intended, maybe you could suggest the question again for next time? The topic of open-sourcing components and relaxing developer restrictions is an ongoing thing after all, and there’s always interesting discussion to be had.

However, I personally think this approach of trying to figure out which parts aren’t useful to commercial clients is somehow the wrong way around: it’s more useful to know which parts are highest priority for the community.

1 Like

FOSS works in weird ways. In many cases someone comes out of nowhere and improves something in a project. But this requires everything to be open. Obviously we cant have than with SFOS and its understandable.

As someone who doesn’t code or develops apps the most frequent complain i read from devs is the old Qt. Could the community port everything to a newer version if things weren’t closed??? I have no idea but it could have been a possibility. Many people are not happy about it. And FOSS moves forward from people scratching itches.

And something being high priority for the community might also be of interest of the commercial clients or something jolla cant release etc. And those situations seem to remain unsolvable. As it seems its pretty difficult to find a balance between commercial clients needs and a community that can help improve the OS.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with everything you say (especially about weirdness and itches :slight_smile: ). This is certainly a new angle, not all covered in the last meeting, and worth more discussion.

2 Likes

Also just don’t forget that we are all humans and forget this things from time to time.
Asking is free, just be friendly.